Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Statistics
Major in Statistics
Statistics majors have a wide variety of opportunities in government, industry, and education. Statisticians are specialists, but statistics by its nature demands that they be generalists also. Statistics uses mathematics, but it is not abstract or isolated: statisticians work with people from other professional backgrounds to solve practical problems.
“The statistics major has really opened a lot of doors for me. Employers are interested in finding people who can think analytically and communicate their findings to a non-technical audience.”
Kristin Vaughn (Rench), graduate in Statistics
Are You a Future Statistician?
Do you like mathematics and computing?
Do you want to use your quantitative skills to solve practical problems?
Do you like to collaborate with others in team efforts?
Do you like the challenge of constantly learning new things and tackling new problems?
If so, you may be a future statistician.
The major in Statistics is a calculus-based program that focuses on the theory and application of statistics. Advising and Course planning form.
The major requirements are:
- 23 core credits, including:
- STA 215, 216, 412, 415, 419, and
- Two of the following courses: STA 311, 315, or 321
- 6 elective credits from among:
- STA 301, 310, 314, 317, 318, 418, 421, 426, or
- The third course from STA 311, 315, 321
- 16 cognate credits, including the following:
- MTH 201, 202, 204 (Linear Algebra I), and
- One of the following:
- B.S. Degree: CS 160, 161, 162, or 261
- B.A. Degree: Completion of the foreign language requirement
- 6 Application Cognate credits.
Find out more about the Courses in the Catalog.
Each major in statistics must select an area of application consisting of at least six credits from outside statistics.
Students must meet with their statistics advisor to develop specific plans for their Application Cognates.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor as soon as their major in statistics is declared.
Courses For the Major in Statistics
Learn about the Courses For the Major in Statistics in the Course Catalog