LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Registration for DataFest 2020 begins on Friday, January 24th and ends on Friday, February 14th. Event to be held March 20th-22nd, 2020.
What is Datafest?
ASA DataFestTM is a data analysis competition where teams of up to five students have a weekend to attack a large, complex, and surprise data set. Your job is to represent your team by finding and communicating insights into these data. While ASA DataFestTM is a competition, the main goal of the event is to promote collaboration. For more information about ASA DataFest. To prepare for datafest follow the hyperlinks below:
- Click Here For Help Downloading SAS
- Click Here For Help Download SPSS
- Click Here To Download R
- Click Here To Download R Studio
- Click Here For SAS Resources
- Click Here for R Resources
- Click Here for SPSS Resources
- Click Here for Information on Other Visualization Software
- GVSU Library's Data Reference Page
WHO CAN ENTER THE COMPETITION?
How do I sign up?
Students can signup by completing the DataFest 2020 @ GVSU Registration form. Only one member from each team needs to complete the registration form. On this form, you will be asked to provide the team name and name and e-mail address of each team member. Each team member will receive a follow up survey to confirm that they are participating in the event and to ask for some additional information. The registration deadline is Friday, February 14th, at midnight. You will find out within a few days after the application deadline as to the acceptance status of your team. There is no registration fee.
Individual students who do not have a team are also welcome to participate. They can complete the registration form (linked above) and we will assign you to a team.
When is the event?
- The weekend of March 20 – 22; the event starts 5 p.m., Friday, March 20 and will conclude by 5 p.m., Sunday, March 22.
Where is the event?
- The event will take place in various locations within Mackinac Hall (primarily first floor, Wing A) on the Allendale Campus of GVSU.
What does the event entail?
- Participating students will be introduced to the source of the data on Friday night. The remainder of the weekend is spent deciding on a research question of interest, preparing the data for analysis, analyzing the data, and preparing a presentation highlighting the findings. Grand Valley is only one of many schools participating in this event which is sponsored by the American Statistical Association (ASA). Weekend competitions run from the middle of March until early May.
Who is eligible to compete?
- Any GVSU undergraduate student is eligible to compete.
After registering, then what?
- The number of participants is limited to 30. Once a team has been accepted to participate, each team member will be asked to provide additional information.
What resources are permissible to use?
- You are welcome to bring your own laptop with any data analysis tools pre-installed; there is no limitation on which software you can use. Make sure there is sufficient room on your laptop for a dataset of approximately 1.5 GB. If you don’t have a personal laptop to use, access to university computers will be provided.
What are some of the competition rules?
- Each team has two – five team members.
- Team members can come and go as they please; minimally, each participant is expected to be onsite Friday, March 20th from 5 p.m. – midnight and on Sunday, March 22nd from noon – 5 p.m.
- All work associated with the competition must be done onsite; all team members will have access to Mackinac Hall throughout the weekend
- It's a competition, but a friendly one, so collaboration between teams is not only allowed but highly encouraged. Official DataFest@GVSU consultants (grad students, faculty, business and industry representatives, etc.) will be available throughout the weekend to provide advice with any questions you might have. Web surfing for information is fine too. Other outside help is not permitted.
- The source of the data will be kept secret until the start of the competition on March 20th; after that, all aspects regarding the data must be kept quiet until May 3, 2020 when the last DataFest competition has ended.
What about food?
- A steady supply of food, beverages, and snacks will be provided throughout the weekend!
What do the winning team members receive?
- Presentations are judged in three categories: Best Insight, Best Visualization, and Best Use of External Data. Winning team members will receive complimentary ASA student memberships, medals, certificates and - - most importantly - - bragging rights!
DataFest@GVSU 2020 is made possible through the generous sponsorship of the following companies and organizations: