“Staying in Place” order will be in effect for GVSU students living in Allendale Township from September 17 through October 1. Read more
Does the Psychology Department offer course credit for internships?
PSY 490 is our Psychology Practicum course, which is similar to an internship. Because the word “internship” is typically reserved for graduate school training in the field of psychology, we use the word “practicum.” The practicum course is a student-initiated supervised work experience in an area of potential career interest. Students enrolled in the course receive credit for their work experience and attendance to a bi-weekly seminar.
- PSY 490 is a course designed to provide students with opportunities to expand their awareness and understanding of the various fields of work and study that are impacted by the psychology discipline and in which students with bachelor’s degrees in psychology often develop careers.
- Students are required to find a supervised work experience within the field of psychology at a professional site of their choosing.
- Students will spend approximately 3 hours per week per registered credit hour at their worksite (or approximately 45 hours per credit hour per semester).
- Students will also attend a bi-weekly, two-hour group meeting with the practicum coordinator and other students enrolled in the course.
I meet the eligibility requirements, so how do I sign up for PSY 490?
First, you will need to find a practicum worksite that is of interest to you and apply for the job.
Second, once you have obtained a worksite position, you will need to fill out the online internship agreement.
Third, contact Dr. Wildey (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an interview with her.
- You will need to meet with Dr. Wildey AND have all respective parties sign off on your internship agreement (Dr. Wildey and your worksite supervisor) before you can enroll in PSY 490.
- A permit from the Psychology Department to register for the course will be given to you after these requirements are met.
Tip: Complete these steps early enough so that you have enough time to register for the course.
- Those wanting to register for PSY 490 in fall 2020 should complete these steps during the winter or spring 2020 semester.
- Those wanting to register for PSY 490 in winter 2021 should complete these steps during the summer or early fall 2020 semester.
Tip: Contact Dr. Wildey when you are in the process of applying/interviewing for a job to ensure that it would be a good fit for PSY 490 and that there is potentially room in the course if you want to enroll.
What happens after I register for PSY 490?
- For some students who are working in fields where you have direct patient contact, you may have additional health compliance measures to complete before the start of the course.
- You will be required to attend a bi-weekly meeting with the internship coordinator and the other students who take the course.
Who is the internship coordinator, or who can I contact for more information?
Dr. Mikhila Wildey – email@example.com