LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Watch this 4 minute video highlighting what PSY 490 is all about!
Does the Psychology Department offer course credit for internships?
PSY 490 is our Psychology Practicum course, which is similar to an internship. Because the word “internship” is typically reserved for graduate school training in the field of psychology, we use the word “practicum.” The practicum course is a student-initiated supervised work experience in an area of potential career interest. Students enrolled in the course receive credit for their work experience and attendance to a bi-weekly seminar.
- PSY 490 is a course designed to provide students with opportunities to expand their awareness and understanding of the various fields of work and study that are impacted by the psychology discipline and in which students with bachelor’s degrees in psychology often develop careers.
- Students are required to find a supervised work experience within the field of psychology at a professional site of their choosing.
- Students will spend 45 hours at their worksite during a given semester per credit hour they are registered for the class.
- Students will also attend a bi-weekly group meeting with the practicum coordinator and other students enrolled in the class.
I meet the eligibility requirements, so how do I sign up for PSY 490?
First, you will need to find a practicum worksite that is of interest to you and apply for the job.
Second, once you have obtained a worksite position, you will need to fill out the online internship agreement.
Third, contact Dr. Wildey (email@example.com) to set up an interview with her.
- You will need to meet with Dr. Wildey AND have all respective parties sign off on your internship agreement (Dr. Wildey and your worksite supervisor) before you can enroll in PSY 490.
- A permit from the Psychology Department to register for the course will be given to you after these requirements are met.
Tip: You should complete these steps one semester prior to registering for the course. That is, you should find a job placement and complete the steps prior to registering for the course but you will complete the job placement during the semester that you register.
Tip: Contact Dr. Wildey when you are in the process of applying/interviewing for a job to ensure that it would be a good fit for PSY 490 and that there is potentially room in the course if you want to enroll.
What happens after I register for PSY 490?
- For some students who are working in fields where you have direct patient contact, you may have additional health compliance measures to complete before the start of the course.
- You will be required to attend a bi-weekly meeting with the internship coordinator and the other students who take the course.