Rehabilitation Psychology focuses on helping those dealing with physical and cognitive impairments and chronic health conditions to improve their health and welfare. Examples of disabilities in populations served include chronic pain, spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke and multiple sclerosis (APA Division 22, 2011)
Rehabilitation Counselor –
To practice as a Rehabilitation Counselor a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling is required. Rehabilitation Counselors evaluate client’s health and mental abilities, advocate for their rights as a person with disabilities, help them adjust to their limitations, and develop treatment plans to maximize their abilities and skills.
What is the median salary for a Rehabilitation Counselor? $35, 000*
What classes at GVSU may help me in my career? Discuss with your advisor which courses among those on this list, along with other courses not listed here, would best serve your career goals.
1. PSY 310 – Behavior Modification
2. PSY 367 – Health Psychology
3. PSY 368 – Physical Disabilities
4. PSY 435 – Physiological Psychology
5. PSY 330 – Behavioral Neuroscience
6. Therapeutic Recreation – Separate GVSU program but Psychology students can enroll in these electives. These are content heavy on techniques, skills and tools that are recreational therapist would use
a. REC 313 – Physical Disabilities
b. REC 315 – Recreation and Mental Health
c. REC 316 – Older Adult
d. REC 317 – Pediatrics
What skills are applicable to a Rehabilitation Counselor? Strong communication skills, compassion, interpersonal skills, and patience are important for a Rehabilitation Counselor.
Employer Possibilities - Hospital or health care system, nursing home facility, in-home care service
Additional Information - http://www.div22.org/
*Median Salary from bls.gov (2016)