Experiential Education Employer/Community Partner Resource Guides
State of Michigan
A number of resources have been published by the State of Michigan offering guidance related to re-opening of businesses during the Coronavirus pandemic.
This general Information covers topics relating to business reopening procedures, access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), unemployment information and industry specific best practices … details can be found at: Employer Coronavirus Resources
Detailed guidance offered by the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) regarding workplace safety for employers and employees (including student workers) can be found at: Workplace Safety General Resources
Grand Valley State University
The university provides information (that is constantly updated) on its response to the Coronavirus Pandemic. Details can be found at: https://www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus/
Other helpful resources include:
- GVSU Academic and Student Affairs Division – https://www.gvsu.edu/provost/
- Career Services – For more information about posting job opportunities through ‘Handshake’ please visit: https://www.gvsu.edu/careers/
- Internships – For internships and resources connected to both in person and remote opportunities, please see: GVSU Internships and Co-Ops
Click and explore the following resources below to learn about best practices with hosting virtual internships:
- Top Tips for Remote Internships
- Guide to Hosting Remote Internships
- Best Practices for Remote Internships
- Cooperative Education and Internship Association Presentation on Remote Internships
Sources: Yale Office of Career Strategy, Handshake, Cooperative Education & Internship Association
Some considerations for employers when looking to adjust an internship or Co-Op due to COVID-19
- Be proactive with your communication to the student and your GVSU contacts
- GVSU will be flexible in working with you and the student to accommodate any changes to the internship and still maintain the integrity of the learning experience.
- Let us work with you to find creative solutions and alternative projects/experiences.
- A substitute student consulting project may be an option. For more information see: Connecting Businesses with Students
Office of Community Engagement – Community based learning is a highly effective pedagogical approach to a student’s education (often referred to as high impact learning). It is essentially a partnership between a student (or a whole class) under the supervision of a GVSU faculty where the academic theory learnt in the classroom is complemented through the application of real-world experience with support from our community partners. For more information, please contact Mr. Travus Burton at (616) 331 2400 (email@example.com) or visit our Office of Community Engagement at: https://www.gvsu.edu/community/
Community Based Learning (CBL) Agreement Form
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to assist our employers and community partners during these challenging times, we have compiled a set of frequently asked questions (FAQs’) to help address a number of common enquiries made regarding your support of our students in their internships, co-ops and community-based learning experiences.
Answers to the CDC section of the FAQs’ has been taken from the Federal Government Center for Disease Control Guidelines see: CDC Guidance for Businesses