Planning for Fall 2020
Grand Valley is preparing for face-to-face learning and living on campus for Fall 2020. This will require a multi-week ramp-up beginning mid-June to be ready for the fall semester. The university will follow guidance from the CDC and state and public health officials.
University leaders are exploring multiple learning and living scenarios to be as flexible as possible and to accommodate all students safely.
Three learning options are being developed for courses: fully online, a hybrid model, and face-to-face instruction.
The Housing and Residence Life team is also planning for fall, including several options for students living on campus. For more information visit gvsu.edu/housing.
Facilities Services is following OSHA guidelines and applying best practices to mitigate COVID-19. This includes increased ventilation, increased outside air intake, increased inspection, maintenance and cleaning of the system, and increased replacement of air filters.
- For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through August 4.
- The Admissions Office is open, meeting with students and providing tours virtually. Other resources are available at gvsu.edu/admissions. For questions or more information, call Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grand Valley has been awarded federal funds and the authority to send those funds directly to students. If you are suffering a financial hardship, you may apply for support. A short application is available at www.gvsu.edu/financialaid/hardshiprequest. Applications are being reviewed as quickly as possible.
- Human Resources has more information for employees on its site: www.gvsu.edu/hro/covid-19-human-resources-faq-1036.htm.
- University food services are closed. More information is available at https://www.gvsu.edu/campusdine.
- If you do not have internet access at your place of residence, look to Comcast, Charter, and AT&T as many providers are temporarily making access available at low or no cost in order to accommodate the K-12 and college students now being served remotely. More information on those resources can be found here: https://www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus/resources-for-students-22.htm.
- GVSU bus routes will be running on a modified schedule.
- The university has canceled large events, including events organized by outside groups until further notice. If you have questions on event scheduling, contact (616) 331-6620 for events on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus, and (616) 331-2350 for events on the Allendale Campus.
- All campus athletics and recreation facilities will be closed until further notice.
- The Mary Idema Pew Library is closed until further notice.
- All spring, summer and fall study abroad programs and courses are canceled, including all faculty-led study abroad programs. For more information, visit https://www.gvsu.edu/studyabroad/
What GVSU is doing about COVID-19
GVSU is actively coordinating with both the Ottawa and Kent county public health departments, GVSU health centers, the Office of the Vice Provost for Health, Padnos International Center and State and Federal agencies as it relates to the health and well-being of our campus community. The GVSU Incident Management Team (IMT) began the monitoring phase of the University’s Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan in January. A Technical Advisory Group was added in February to ensure that GVSU’s existing Outbreak/Pandemic plan is consistent with the CDC guidelines for COVID-19. All of these groups are working closely together to ensure a coordinated response.
Service opportunities and information hotline
Michigan has formed a COVID-19 hotline. Public health experts will answer health-related questions about the virus and direct callers to the right resources. It is open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Call 1-888-535-6136
- Message from President Mantella May 4, 2020
- Message regarding available hardship aid April 22, 2020
- Message from President Mantella April 14, 2020
- Message from President Mantella April 10, 2020
- Message to ASA from Provost Cimitile March 30, 2020
- Message from President Mantella March 23, 2020
- Message from President Mantella March 17, 2020
- Message to ASA from Provost Cimitile March 16, 2020
- Message from President Mantella March 13, 2020
- Message from President Mantella March 11, 2020
- Message to ASA from Provost Cimitile March 11, 2020
- Message to ASA from Provost Cimitile March 6, 2020
- Message from President Mantella March 6, 2020
- Padnos International Center announces program suspension in Italy
- Community Email February 27, 2020
- Padnos International Center announces program suspension in China
- Padnos International Center announces program suspension in South Korea
- Community Email January 31, 2020