Visit www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus for more.
Date of Last Update
- Board of Trustees
Legal, Compliance & Risk Management
Export Policy As PDF
Regular Faculty Salary Administration
4.2.20 Salary Administration
Compensation Service. Compensation rates for
faculty will normally be set on an academic year basis except for
library faculty or other faculty on a 12-month appointment. A
compensable pay period will be any period when one has fulfilled all
of his/her assigned responsibilities. For all or any part of such
period when a faculty member has failed to meet the requirements of
compensable service he/she will incur a proportionate forfeiture at
the per day rate of 1/190 of his/her academic year rate or in the
case of faculty on a 12-month appointment 1/260 of his/her annual
rate. Faculty on an academic year pay basis, who terminate prior to
the end of the academic year will be paid 1/2 of his/her base
academic year rate for each full academic term of service. Faculty
who terminate during an academic semester will be paid 1/190 of
his/her academic year rate for each day of completed service during
that semester. There are normally 95 payroll days during each
semester including vacation and holidays. University contributions
to all benefit plans shall be on the basis of base academic year
rate or, in the case of faculty 12-month appointment, on base annual
rate. Faculty on academic year appointments may elect to have their
base salary paid over 9 or 12 months in semi-monthly installments
starting with the first pay period of the fall semester. For
purposes of Section 4.2.20, the academic year or fiscal year begins
Starting Rates. Starting rates for faculty will be
administratively set within the approved salary range for the
position by the appointing officer in consultation with the Human
Resources Office. The minimum rate will normally apply for new
faculty possessing qualifications not significantly above the
minimum required. Additional allowances above the minimum may be
made for completion of all course work toward the doctorate except
the dissertation, completion of the doctorate, and for each year of
full-time teaching at the level of instructor or above at a
four-year, baccalaureate degree granting institution or above or
equivalent professional experience. Exceptions to this policy
because of special market conditions or within highly specialized
fields must be approved in advance by the Provost/Vice President for
- Extra Compensation. Extra compensation, except as provided in Section 18.104.22.168 (Alternate Service), is determined as follows:
A. For extra semester situations for faculty on academic year appointments extra compensation shall be calculated according to the following method:
1. For 1 through 6 equivalent contact hours, 3.33 percent of the individual's academic year's base salary per equivalent contact hour or 10.0 percent for 3 credits.
2. All additional credits are at a minimum of $1000.00 per credit.
In this section, an equivalent contact hour, as defined in the full-time teaching load definition, is equal to one contact hour taught in lecture, discussion or lecture-discussion format; two equivalent contact hours are equal to three contact hours taught in laboratory or studio format.
B. Faculty who teach courses outside of and in addition to their normal full-time responsibilities shall be paid extra compensation at a minimum of $1000.00 per credit hour per semester. This amount shall be appropriately prorated for teaching more than or less than three credits or where responsibility is shared with other faculty.
Faculty teaching courses off-campus shall be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses above those normally associated with transportation to and from the university in accordance with the university travel policy.
C. Extra compensation for faculty for mutually agreed upon situations outside of normal faculty workload shall be determined by the Appointing Officer with the approval of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
4. Pay Adjustments. Salary advancement within the salary range for the same position will be based on an annual assessment of faculty performance in each of the evaluation criteria. Faculty must provide to their unit head the Faculty Activity Plan (FAP) and Faculty Activity Report (FAR) in advance of the annual review. Other factors for salary adjustment may include compression and market. Adjustments will normally take effect at the beginning of each academic year, or if appropriate, each fiscal year.
5. Promotional Increments. Faculty on full-time appointments who are promoted shall receive, in addition to their regular salary increase, the indicated promotion increment or no less than the minimum of the salary range of the new rank if the combination of the regular increase and the promotion increment fall below the minimum. Faculty on part-time appointments shall receive a pro rata promotion increment proportional to their appointment.
Refer to the Promotional Increments table.