Date of Last Update
- President's Cabinet
Business and Finance
Export Policy As PDF
Relocation Policy (Moving)
Reimbursement or direct payment of faculty and staff moving expenses will be made when it becomes necessary in employment negotiations to attract highly qualified candidates to regular, full-time academic and administrative positions at Grand Valley State University.
If reimbursement or direct payment is warranted, the following applies:
1. Only new hires of tenure track faculty and administrative professionals are eligible.
2. Moving expenses must be funded from within the hiring unit's existing budget.
3. The maximum amount allowable is up to $2,000 for tenure track faculty and administrative professionals and $5,000 for deans and directors, based on actual receipts.
4. Moving expenses eligible for reimbursement/payment are limited to those that may be reimbursed/paid on a non-taxable basis. PLEASE NOTE: Under IRS regulations, as long as (1) the new place of work is at least 50 miles farther from the taxpayer's former residence than the taxpayer's former residence was from the taxpayer's old place of work, and (2) the faculty or staff member is employed full-time for at least 39 weeks during the twelve months following the move, such amounts paid for amounts paid for the move do not constitute a taxable benefit.
5. Reimbursement/payment must be made via a properly authorized Travel and Expense Reimbursement form prepared by the hiring department to which actual receipts and/or invoices must be attached. Only the reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects (including the expenses of packing and insurance) and the reasonable costs of transporting the employee and members of the employee's household (including lodging) from the old place of residence to the new place of residence are eligible for reimbursement/payment. Typical moving expenses normally eligible for reimbursement/payment include: payments to moving companies, truck or trailer rental charges, toll road fees, and gasoline cost for a rented or personal vehicle or mileage charges (at the current IRS moving rate) if an employee's personal vehicle is used.
While this is not an all-inclusive list, examples of typical expenses NOT eligible for reimbursement/payment are:
- House hunting trips (and any other pre/post move trips)
- Selling expenses related to the old residence
- Expenses of purchasing the new residence
- Temporary living expenses
- Storage charges (except in-transit charges)
- Security deposits
- Moving expenses related to termination of GVSU employment
6. An executive officer may grant exceptions to this policy in specific and unusual cases.
This information is subject to change without prior notice. Contact the Accounting Office at 616-331-2203 for questions regarding reimbursable expenses, and contact Purchasing Services at 616-331-2280 for assistance with contract movers.
Additional information can be found on the following link to the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/