Physical Education Certifications
All students who plan to earn a Michigan teaching certificate must take and pass the SAT test. In order to meet the requirement for teacher certification, the SAT has two sections that must be passed at or above the career- and college-readiness (CCR) benchmark as shown below:
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing = Score 480 or higher.
- Mathematics = Score 530 or higher.
Both individual sections of the SAT must be passed at or above these score values.
Students should direct SAT to send their official scores to Grand Valley State University (Institution code: 1258) and Michigan Department of Education Teacher Certification (Institution code: 6962).
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification
Students who plan to earn a Michigan teaching certificate must take and pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in their major and minor.
This ensures each certified teacher has the necessary professional readiness and content knowledge to serve in Michigan schools. Official Results must be sent directly to GVSU (test code 12).
Visit www.mttc.nesinc.com for information about:
- Test Dates
- Online MTTC Test Registration
- Score Reporting
- Study Guides
- MTTC Test frequently asked questions (FAQ)
For Testing Accommodations, review the requirements needed with your Disability Support Resources advisor, www.gvsu.edu/dsr.
Study Guide and Resources
- CLAS Advising Center's MTTC Content Area Test information
- MTTC Flash Cards (available for each subject)
- MoMetrix eLibrary (online access to study guides available through the GVSU Library)
Click on Teaching, then scroll down and select the MTTC test(s) you are interested in. You may need to log-in through the Library in order to access this database.
- Disability Support Resources: www.gvsu.edu/dsr.
Reducing Test Anxiety
If you suffer from test anxiety please read this PDF guide, Dealing with Test Anxiety, to identify and cope with stress.