Health and Physical Education Program
The Health and Physical Education Teacher Education Program is designed to prepare health and physical education professionals to promote quality programs, lifelong skills and developmentally appropriate activities for students in PreK-12 educational settings.
The HPE program communicates with students through a Google Group called HealthandPEMajors
To join a group, click Join group or Apply to join group. If a group is invite-only, you can ask to be invited by clicking Contact owner.
If you have any issues finding or joining the group please contact Dr. Johnson at [email protected].
There are several paths to becoming a certified teacher in Michigan:
- Current undergraduate HPE majors will become certified to teach PK-12 Health and Physical Education and an additional certification in a teachable minor during the program at GVSU. https://www.gvsu.edu/education/teaching-and-learning-department-229.htm
- If you want to transition your career into teaching, consider the Graduate Teacher Certification (GTC) program. This traditional, accelerated teacher preparation program is designed for individuals who:
- hold a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- are at least a year out from earning their bachelor's degree
- are interested in earning their initial teaching certificate at the elementary or secondary level
- are able to commit full-time to their coursework and fieldwork
MTTC Test Centers
MTTC website at
https://www.mttc.nesinc.com/ for further information on available test center locations in Michigan. You will register for the Health and Physical Education Subtests 1 and 2 (112 and 113) and your endorsement will be called MC. You must pass both subtests to receive your certification.
As noted on the MTTC website, the last testing date for MA (Health (043)) and MB (Physical Education (044)) WAS September 30, 2023. As a result, the last date for candidates to apply for either endorsement will be September 30, 2028 (five years after the last possible testing date).