Benefits of Standing Workstations
Lower your blood pressure, increase calorie burn and improve mental health.
A stand up (or standing) desk is a desk conceived for writing, reading, or working - while standing up.
Decrease in the risk of developing heart disease, blood clots in the brain, and certain types of cancer.
- Standing up for an extra 90 minutes significantly lowers your chances of developing diabetes. (A link has been found between sitting down and levels of sugary glucose and fatty acids in the bloodstream)
- By standing for an extra three hours a day without exercising would burn off 8 pounds of fat a year.
- You can relieve stress on the spine and have a reduced risk of spinal shrinkage by standing at your desk.
- Alternating positions relieves strain and relaxes the neck, shoulders, and back.
There is no University policy about what the desk has to look like or function like. There are various styles available including podiums for the top of your desk or full size work station options
"I would benefit from a standing desk in my office or work space. What do I do?" If you would like a standing desk in your work space please work with your supervisor and department to determine what will work best. If you have a disability with medical documentation please contact Disability Support Resources.
Each department head or supervisor has the opportunity to budget for standing workstations for his or her department. When planning for the fiscal year, department heads and supervisors may want to consider how standing workstations may benefit their staff and office environment and allocate funds accordingly.
Sit Stand Workstation Discounts
ERGOTRON WorkFit Units-GVSU Discount
Contact Pearl Moore directly to receive a quote.
When items ship an invoice is sent. GVSU is set up with ERGOTRON as tax exempt and does not pay shipping fees. DCP Solutions takes PCards, however, there is a surcharge for credit card orders.
If interested in seeing one in use contact Kay Klosowski, email@example.com .
Contact: Carly Cooksey | Account Manager, 972•499•4957
Anti-Fatigue Mat Program-GVSU Discount
It is important to consider also purchasing an anti-fatigue mat to ensure proper support for standing.
Contact Grainger Sales Representative: Brian King Mobil 616-250-4301 – Inside sales 616-241-6781
Suggested Process for Offering Standing Workstations in Your Department
- Create a sign up list for faculty and staff who are interested in the standing work station.
- Order 3 at a time.
- The top three people on the list receive the desks when they arrive and try it out for a couple of weeks.
- If faculty and staff decide they want to keep the product they keep it. If it does not work for them, they let the office coordinator or contact person in the department know and the next person on the list receives the product.