Mission & Objectives
Grand Valley State University (GVSU) is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty, staff and students. The GVSU Latino/a Faculty & Staff Association will advance the university’s commitment to diversity by being a vehicle to build community and to improve the recruitment, retention and advancement of a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
The Latino/a Faculty & Staff Association will address Latino/a interests at GVSU, including educational concerns and advancement of the Latino/a community. Its priorities include assisting in the recruitment, retention and advancement of Latino/a faculty, staff and students. The Latino/a Faculty and Staff Association will also create a sense of community and a support network that nurtures Latinos/as as visible and viable contingency within the Grand Valley State University community.
Build and Create a Sense of Community
- Develop a community and support network that nurtures Latina/o Faculty and Staff as a visible and viable part of the GVSU environment and leadership
- Provide professional and personal support to GVSU Latino/a Faculty and Staff
- Give a voice to the concerns of the Latino/a Faculty and Staff on campus.
- Help to maintain a positive work environment for Latino/a Faculty and Staff
- Create and authoritative website
- To inform, promote Latino/a faculty and staff involvement in any activities, projects initiatives and efforts at the campus, regional, national and international levels.
- As repository of Latino/a resources.
Promote, Advocate and Support the Recruitment, Retention and Advancement of GVSU Latino Faculty and Staff
- Support the growth and professional development of Latino/a Faculty
- Work with GVSU administration on issues relating to the Latino/a Faculty and Staff Recruitment, Retention and Advancement
- Assist GVSU in the area of recruiting, engaging and retaining Latino/a employees
- Promote and celebrate GVSU Latina/o Faculty and Staff educational contributions and achievements
- Provide mentoring to Latino/a faculty and staff.
Promote, Advocate and Support the Recruitment, Retention And Graduation Of Latino/a Students
- Support the university’s initiative to increase the recruitment and retention of Latino/a Students.
- Support the university’s existing programs, services and organizations that work directly with prospective and current Latino/a students.
- Work with university programs, services and organizations to increase Latino/a student participation.
Network and Collaborate
- Network and collaborate with other local Latino/a Faculty and Staff affinity groups in Western Michigan
- Support campus community engagement initiatives by developing and strengthening collaborative relationships between the university and the West Michigan Latino/a community
- Provide opportunities for social and professional networking.
- Network and collaborate with other GVSU’s affinity groups.