Professional Development for Educators
Professional Development Opportunities
The Center for Adult & Continuing Studies at Grand Valley State University provides continuing education credits for PreK-12 educators throughout Michigan.
What we do:
- Create partnerships with schools and agencies, as long as a GVSU faculty or staff representative is included in preparation and delivery of the programming.
- Provide State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) for professional development workshops.
- Create and administer both synchronous and asynchronous SCECH programming.
- Provide advising on Michigan Licensure and Certifications, including initial certification, renewals, and adding endorsements to your Michigan credentials.
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs)
We assist teachers, administrators, school psychologists and school counselors meet their professional development needs. We offer the following services:
- SCECH approved professional development courses.
- SCECH approved self-paced, on-demand professional development courses (coming soon).
- Advising on educator certification in Michigan. Additional resources are available on the Office of Certification & Accreditation's Certification Webpage.
- Advising on graduate degree programs and endorsements at GVSU. Visit the College of Education & Community Innovation's Education Graduate Degree Programs website for more information.
- Advising on content-area endorsements at GVSU. Visit the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Endorsements website for more information.
The Michigan Department of Education has also authorized an academic credit conversion. If a course is being offered for academic credit, it can be converted to SCECHs using the following chart:
- 1 academic credit = 25 SCECHs
- 2 academic credit = 50 SCECHs
- 3 academic credit = 75 SCECHs
Updated Hot Topics for Educators will be coming soon!
If you are interested in leading a Hot Topics program either in person, virtually over Zoom, or on-demand and self-paced, please contact Lucas Treadwell at 616-331-7118 or [email protected]
For a list of courses offered for SCECHs, go to the Michigan Online Educator Certification System website, click on SCECH catalog, select Grand Valley State University as sponsor and search.
For Program Sponsors
Some of the services we provide include:
- Providing SCECHs for education-related professional learning. To have your workshop/program/event/meeting/experience approved for SCECHs, please complete the SCECHs Approval Form.
- Providing SCECH approved self-paced, on demand professional development for educators, administrators, and school counselors.
- If you are interested in serving as an instructor for a self-paced professional development course, please contact Lucas Treadwell at 616-331-7118 or [email protected]
- Registration & payment services.
- Awarding SCECHs to eligible participants to the Michigan Online Educator Certificate System (MOECS).
- Maintain course records for Michigan Department of Education audits.
For additional inquiries, please contact the Center for Adult & Continuing Studies at (616) 331-7180 or [email protected].
Professional Development Assistant, Center for Adult & Continuing Studies
- Daily course operations
- Instructor/Sponsor needs
- Learner services.
Contact to request program and registration information.
Manager, Professional Development - Licensure & Renewals, Center for Adult & Continuing Studies
- Approving courses/workshops/experiences for SCECHs
- Asynchronous professional development course creation
- Liaison to the Michigan Department of Education and GVSU's College of Education and Community Innovation.
Contact to request accommodations, address grievances with our programming, and for licensure advising.