Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know what classes I will need to take?

You will receive a "Degree Evaluation" approximately 3-6 weeks after you apply to GVSU and your transcripts are received in the GVSU Admissions Office.  The degree evaluation will show how your classes from other schools transfer to GVSU.  An individualized program plan will be developed at the time of your transfer orientation.

Does GVSU limit the number of credits I can transfer from a community college?

No, but you must have a total of 120 credits to graduate and 30 of those must be earned at GVSU.

Can I start the program if I don't have my nursing license yet?

You can complete the general education and pre-requisite classes prior to receiving your license. Qualified students in their last year of their Associate Degree in Nursing (or comparable degree) will be allowed to take select nursing classes. 

What are the pre-requisites for the RN to BSN program?

Many of the pre-requisites have likely been completed during your Associates Degree or Diploma in Nursing program and include:  anatomy, physiology, microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, and developmental psychology.  Additional pre-requisites include: English composition, general chemistry, general psychology, basic pathophysiology, and statistics.

Are there any requirements once in the nursing program at KCON?

Health compliance requirements must be completed and submitted prior to the second year of nursing courses. These include:

  1. A health physical examination form
  2. Immunization titers as stipulated by GVSU
  3. Current TB skin test
  4. Current certification in CPR
  5. Blood borne pathogen training
  6. Criminal background check
  7. Drug Screening test
  8. Finger Printing
  9. Current unrestricted Michigan RN license. 

Will I receive credit for my previous nursing courses?

RNs can receive 30 university credits for their previous nursing coursework from a diploma or A.D.N. program. To receive credit for a course, the RN applicant must have earned a grade of “C” or higher. These credits are awarded following admission to the nursing program.

Can I take some of the prerequisite or general education classes at a community college?

Yes, but be sure to confirm the transferability of the class with a nursing advisor prior to enrolling.

Is the nursing program accredited?

The baccalaureate degrees in nursing, master’s degree in nursing and Doctor of Nursing Practice degree at Grand Valley State University’s Kirkhof College of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education

Do I need a computer?

A home computer is not required, but you will need some basic computer skills, some familiarity with Microsoft Office, and access to the internet. Computers are available on all GVSU campus sites.  For students who are unsure as to whether or not on-line learning is for them, consider the following information:

Where do I get the textbooks?

You can purchase them at one of the GVSU Bookstores or order them via the web at:

Is financial aid available?

You should contact the Financial Aid Office at GVSU to talk with a representative to address your individual needs. The number for the Financial Aid Office is (616) 331-3234 or you may find them on line at available for nursing majors (admitted into the nursing program) can be found on the GVSU Financial Aid Website.