Eligibility and Application

Who is eligible for intern housing?

Any student, 18 years or older, currently enrolled at any higher education institution who is completing a verifible internship in the West Michigan Area. 

What dates do you offer intern housing for 2024?

Intern Housing will be available May 10 through August 3.

When is my application due?

The application process begins January 18, 2024 and closes when all our units are full. Downtown has limited availability while Allendale has more availability.

I represent a company that would like to house several interns. How do I go about reserving rooms for them?

Please contact our intern housing team by emailing [email protected]

Payment Information

How much does it cost to live on campus for the summer?

Rates to live on campus vary by building and unit type. Click on this link to view our rates.

What does my daily rate include?

Utilities, laundry, and Wi-Fi are all included in the daily rate on both the Grand Rapids and Allendale campuses.

Is there a deposit I need to pay before I move in?

We do not require a security deposit for housing. However, a non-refundable $60.00 application fee is due at the time of application.  You must make your move-in payment equal to one half of your room contract at least 2 weeks prior to move-in. This payment can be made at time of application or later through the Iris website where you apply. This payment will be applied to the total rent balance. The remainder of your rent is due June 30. We accept debit and credit cards for payment and there is no fee associated with either method.

How do I change my dates or cancel my application?

To cancel your application please contact us. In order to change the dates on your application please fill out the Date Change Request form. These date changes are not guaranteed, but GVSU Intern Housing will make every effort to accommodate your request.


If I do not have a roommate, how will the matching process take place?

If you do not have a roommate, GVSU Intern Housing can provide assistance. On the application, you will be asked to provide contact information of individuals you would like to live with, or select the option to have us provide your contact info to other interns. We will provide unmatched applicants' information to make roommate connections. In general, those who desire to find a roommate have been successful as we will house around 400 interns this summer. 


Where and when may I check into my unit?

You may check in between 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. on your designated move-in day. If you're staying downtown, Winter Hall front desk will be your first stop even if staying in Secchia Hall. If you're staying on the Allendale campus, the South Campus Residential Desk located in The Blue Connection will be your first stop.

What if I cannot make the designated check in time?

Check-in is only available during the Residential Desk hours. Please plan accordingly.

What do I need to bring to check-in?

To check-in to your unit, please bring your photo ID. 

The Living Centers

What do I need to bring?

We suggest you bring kitchen utensils and twin xl bedding at minimum. Many interns bring a microwave or coordinate items with their roommates.

Where are the laundry facilities in the building?

Complementary laundry facilities are located on the first floor of Winter Hall and in Tower G in Secchia Hall downtown; the Allendale campus has laundry rooms on each floor of the buildings. Washers and dryers are active and do not require any coins or cards to operate.

Is cable and wireless internet active in my unit?

Cable is active in all units here at Grand Valley. All you need is a coax cable to connect your TV to the cable outlet provided in your room. Wireless internet is active and you will receive a user name and password for free access.

Are there only interns staying in my building?

Our buildings have a mixture of summer interns and students enrolled at Grand Valley State University.

Will I have an RA?

Both Winter Hall and Secchia Hall have Resident Assistants available to help answer any urgent, after-hours questions or concerns. However, please refer to the residential desks or email [email protected] for your questions. 

I live in Seccia Hall. How do I get into Winter Hall if I need to get to the front desk?

You will be issued a swipe card that will allow you access to the exterior doors of Winter Hall. 

What is the alcohol policy for on campus housing?

Residents and guests who are 21 years of age or older may consume and store alcohol in the privacy of their room/apartment. Underage residents and guests may not store or possess alcohol, empty containers, or alcohol paraphernalia (such as shot glasses, beer steins, etc). This includes containers used as decoration.

Underage residents or guests may not be present when alcohol is being consumed.

Kegs, bongs, open parties, and mass quantities are prohibited. Open containers of alcohol are not permitted in any public areas in or outside the on-campus housing system. Underage residents will forfeit any cans or bottles confiscated from their possession.

Is there a place to put my bike if I bring it with me?

If you choose to bring a bike along with you for the summer, there is a convenient area in-between Winter and Secchia Hall where residents can lock their bikes away in an enclosed area. While the area is only accessible to residents, we still recommend that residents use a "U" lock to lock their bike up within the enclosed area. The Allendale campus has numerous bike racks around South Apartments to store bikes.

Parking and Transportation

What type of parking is available for interns during the summer? What is the cost?

Parking is located adjacent to Winter and Secchia Hall. A permit will need to be obtained and displayed at all times. You can obtain your permit through the online link that will be provided to you with check-in information. 

What if I do not have a car? Are there public transportation options I can use?

The Rapid public transportation system is available throughout the city. Click here to find out more information about The Rapid. 

What do I do if I have a guest come to stay with me? Where do they park?

Students may have guests visit their room, provided they have made prior arrangements with their roommate(s) and have received their permission. Visitation does not mean cohabitation and a guest’s stay should never exceed two nights in a given week. The university reserves the right to limit the frequency of guest visits. Guests may obtain a temporary permit from parking services by contacting parking. 

Lockouts and Maintenance

What do I do if I lose my key?

Residents are responsible for carrying their keys and access cards and keeping their room/apartment door locked at all times. Unit keys/cards should not be transferred to other individuals. If a key is lost, the resident should report it immediately to their assigned community desk. Loaner keys/cards are available and must be returned seven days to avoid being charged for them. If the key/card is permanently lost, a $25 swipe card fee, and a $85 brass or mailbox key charge will be put on the intern's account. 

What do I do if I get locked out?

If you are locked out during desk hours, visit the Winter Hall front desk. If it is after hours, please call the duty phone number provided to you, do not call the RA phone number as the RAs are only expected and trained to allow students into their units.

How do I submit a maintenance request?

To submit a maintenance request, click here. 

Will there be any maintenance work being done on my unit that I did not request?

Due to units being occupied all year long, GVSU aims to provide exceptional living spaces for students and interns living at the university. Routine maintenance may be done on your unit to maintain these standards, but you will be notified of these minor projects in advance.


Are there building rules I need to follow?

Yes, all interns are required to follow the policies of GVSU Housing. Please follow this link to the HRL Community Living Standards. 

What is my address?

These addresses should be used for navigation to your living center only. Please do not direct packages or mail to these addresses.

Winter Hall

32 Winter Ave. SW Apt. #

Grand Rapids, MI 49504


Secchia Hall 

420 W. Fulton, Apt. #

Grand Rapids, MI 49504


South Apartments D

10492 42nd Ave Apt #

Allendale, MI 49401 


Where is my mailbox?

All mail and packages are sent to the residential desk that you checked in at. You will be notified via email when mail or packages are ready for you to pick up.


What are the residential desk hours during the summer ?

Monday-Friday 8am-8pm.

Saturday-Sunday 10am-6pm.

Page last modified June 12, 2024