LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Faculty Learning Communities
Whether you’ve been teaching online or hybrid courses for several years, or just getting ready to start your first semester teaching hybrid or online, all levels of expertise are welcome to join our “Online and Hybrid Faculty Learning Communities.” Facilitated by IDeL (Instructional Design for eLearning) in eLearning & Emerging Technologies, we hope these learning communities will provide a venue for faculty-led dialogue and sharing collective expertise regarding online/hybrid instruction at GVSU.
We've been hosting Faculty Learning Communities since January 2015. While our preference has always been to gather faculty together, during Fall 2020 our meetings will be held virtually through Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. Rather than host separate meetings for each campus as we have in the past, instead we'll have two separate meeting times each month bringing together faculty from across the University.
FLC Learning Objectives
- Support new and experienced online/hybrid faculty through dialogue and samples
- Explore best practices associated with online/hybrid teaching and learning
- Identify emerging technological needs to support online teaching and learning
- Share collective expertise across disciplines
If you're interested in being added to our GVSU Online & Hybrid Teaching Faculty Learning Community Blackboard organization so that you can receive meeting location reminders and updates, please send Matt Roberts an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule for Winter 2021
February A 2021
- Wednesday February 10, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
- Thursday February 11, 10am – 11am
- Topic: online group work and projects
February B 2021
- Wednesday February 24, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
- Thursday February 25, 10am – 11am
- Topic: Padlet as an educational tool
- Wednesday March 17, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
- Thursday March 18, 10am – 11am
- Topic: improving inclusivity and accessibility
- Tuesday April 14, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
- Wednesday April 15, 10am – 11am
- Topic: finding the balance between teaching and the rest of your life
Benefits of Faculty Learning Communities
Kristen Vu, Assistant Professor of Diagnostic & Treatment Sciences
"We have a great support system..."
"The sharing of knowledge, tips and suggestions has been valuable to me as I continue to improve my online/hybrid instruction methods and organization of my online content."
"I always learn something new that can be applied to all my classes, whether they are taught in the traditional format or the hybrid format."
"I enjoy attending to keep up to date in the latest best practices in online/hybrid teaching and in knowing what my colleagues across the university are doing in their online teaching."