For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through June 17. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Cook Leadership Academy
Cook Leadership Academy Fellow Candidates
Where Emerging Leaders Prepare to Build Our Future
Welcome to the Cook Leadership Academy! The Hauenstein Center’s Peter C. Cook Leadership Academy is a leader development program for 60+ undergraduate and graduate students during the academic year. The program is co-curricular and cross-disciplinary — this year representing 52 different areas of study — and it provides numerous opportunities for student fellows to develop leadership excellence.
Cook Leadership Academy Fellow candidates — our students — are put through a rigorous curriculum of training, assessment, and practice designed to instill leadership excellence. Candidates are admitted to the Cook Leadership Academy for one or more years. Each applicant must meet the criteria of high academic achievement, active involvement in the campus community, dedication to the public good, a passion to lead, and a commitment to personal growth.
Through observation, mentoring, and practice, the candidates learn the behaviors and attitudes of ethical, effective leaders through more than 70 contact hours per fellow per year.
Our fellow candidates gain access to a myriad of opportunities to advance their leadership skills. They…
- Explore leadership with a cohort of more than 60 diverse, highly motivated student fellows during the academic year.
- Build mentor relationships with community leaders from business, higher education, nonprofit, and government organizations.
- Learn from and interact with accomplished local leaders through our Wheelhouse Talks speaker series.
- Reflect on their own qualities as an authentic leader based on Strengths Finder, DiSC, Reflected Best Self, Emotional Intelligence, or mindfulness workshops.
- Engage in valuable public speaking training in our Leader Lab as well as through Jennifer Maxson & Associates.
- Pursue intensive leadership development through service learning projects, Washington Campus Week, and other high-impact initiatives.
- Attend hallmark events through the Hauenstein Center and meet nationally recognized speakers. Our fellow candidates have been face-to-face with four U.S. presidents, one U.S. Supreme Court Justice, two vice presidents, six first ladies, five secretaries of state, seven state governors, numerous business and nonprofit executives, multiple Pulitzer Prize winning writers, the world’s most decorated academic, a Grammy Award winner, and a national championship basketball coach.
- Network and participate in vibrant downtown Grand Rapids through partnerships with the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation, Library, and Museum; the Economics Club of Grand Rapids; the World Affairs Council of Western Michigan; the Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce; and our accomplished alumni.