LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Welcome to Grand Rapids!
Two Campuses in Michigan's 2nd Largest City
Grand Valley State University has been an important part of the continuing growth and prosperity of downtown Grand Rapids for more than 30 years. As Grand Rapids grows, so does Grand Valley, now occupying almost 100 acres downtown, spanning the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus and the Health Campus.
Students live and learn in a vibrant community which combines state-of-the-art facilities with the culture and entertainment of a bigger city. Opportunities abound for students interested in internships, volunteer work, and research, with a variety of industries from health professions, engineering, business, and more.
Grand Rapids offers something for everyone with diverse dining options, an excellent arts and music scene, outstanding outdoor activities, festivals, and professional and college sports.
A Hub for Services and Social Activity
The Richard M. DeVos Center
The Richard M. DeVos Center is the academic and social heart of the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus and offers tremendous resources for students, including:
- Classrooms, collaborative study spaces, computer labs, and several of Grand Valley's academic colleges and support units.
- The Steelcase Library, which features a beautiful reading room, and a state-of-the-art automated storage and retrieval system.
- A collaborative learning space in the Knowledge Market which includes whiteboards and presentation labs.
- Academic resources such as the Student Services office, the GVSU Career Center, and University Book Store.
- On-campus dining options, such as the Plaza Cafe and Starbucks.
- Close proximity to campus housing options in Winter and Secchia Hall.
- Convenient access to the professional and recreational hotspot that is downtown Grand Rapids.
Join one of Grand Valley's downtown living-learning communities, with focuses in business, engineering, and social work. Other majors or students who are undecided can join the Momentum House, the fourth living-learning community that focuses on innovation, finding solutions to persistent and challenging systemic social, and product and/or environmental issues. These communities are located in Winter Hall, which is across the street from the Richard M. DeVos Center and a short walk from downtown Grand Rapids.
Real Opportunity Within Walking Distance
The Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus
Grand Valley's Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids campus provides students and graduates access to a variety of industries from engineering to business and public/nonprofit administration.
- Engineering students have easy access to premium engineering facilities, such as the John C. Kennedy Hall of Engineering, Fred M. Keller laboratories, and the state-of-the-art Innovation and Design Center.
- Engineering co-ops and research opportunities in the Grand Rapids area are easily accessible from the Robert C. Pew campus.
- Seidman College of Business students find their home within the L. William Seidman Center and start their careers gaining valuable experience within the fastest growing economy in the U.S.
- Students majoring in the community and public services and/or education are next door to a wealth of volunteer and community engagement opportunities in the heart of Grand Rapids
The Center for Healthcare in West Michigan
Grand Valley's Health Campus
Grand Rapids in the center for health care education, research, and treatment in West Michigan and Grand Valley's Health Campus on the city's booming Medical Mile, continues to grow in programs and opportunity.
- Many of the industries big names, including Spectrum Health Systems, have invested in Grand Rapids and have partnered with Grand Valley to build tomorrow's healthcare leaders.
- Facilities, such as the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences, Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall, and the new Daniel and Pamella DeVos Center for Interprofessional Health offer authentic clinical experiences through their medical laboratories, rehabilitation centers, and state-of-the-art simulation labs.
- Grand Valley remains the leading provider of healthcare professionals in West Michigan.
Art, Culture, and Recreation
An Experience for Every Student
Grand Rapids offers a wealth of extracurricular and recreational opportunities.
- Downtown Grand Rapids offers GVSU students a walkable center for art, music, culture, and dining.
- A gateway to outdoor recreation, students enjoy wide-ranging activities like biking, hiking, water sports, winter sports, dog parks, and beautiful nearby beaches.
- With six museums downtown, public art, a symphony, ballet, opera, local theaters, touring productions, and live music, Grand Rapids proves it is the hub of culture in West Michigan.
- Grand Rapids has been recognized nationally for its food and craft beer scene, including being named Michigan’s Best Food City.
- Professional and college sports provide entertainment for every type of fan.
- Famous festivals, like ArtPrize and LaughFest, offer something for everyone, all year long.
Free, Convenient Transportation System
- The free Laker Line bus service links, students, faculty members, and staff to the entire Grand Rapids public transit system.
- Buses run between downtown campuses and the Allendale Campus seven days a week at a frequency of up to every seven minutes.
- Bus rides between between the Allendale and Grand Rapids campuses are less than a half hour.
- You can ride the Downtown Area Shuttle (DASH) for free throughout downtown Grand Rapids.