Skip to main content


How do I know if I have completed my General Education requirements?
Go to Click on "Current Students", then click on "myBanner" and log in. From there you can obtain your MyPath "Degree Audit Report" which will tell you which classes you have taken and which classes you need to take.

How does "double dipping" work?
There are some classes that count for more than one General Education requirement. An example would be GPY 235. It is listed under Social and Behavioral Sciences AND World Perspectives, which means if you were to take this course, it would count for both a Social and Behavioral Sciences and a World Perspectives credit.

I have received a bachelor's degree from Grand Valley (or any other institution). Do I have to complete the General Education requirements to complete another degree?
Students with a bachelor's degree (from any college) have completed their general education requirements. They just need to complete the 2nd degree/major requirements within the program.

Is there a minimum grade required for General Education Classes?
There is no minimum grade requirement for General Education classes except for WRT 150, which requires a C (not a C-) or better (SWS courses also require a C or better).


Can I use life experiences (work, volunteer, military service) to count for a General Education course?
Although life experiences are extremely valuable in your education, they cannot count for a General Education course.

Can students test out of a General Education requirement through a departmental proficiency exam?
No. However, some General Education requirements can be met by through CLEP or AP exams. Click here for more information on credit by exam.

Can I use an independent study, internship, practicum, co-op, research, or similar type of course to fulfill a General Education requirement?
Not unless you are studying abroad. These courses can often be used to fulfill a requirement in your major, minor, or emphasis.


I want to meet one or more of my General Education requirements (Foundations, Cultures, or Issues) while studying abroad. What do I need to do?
Please consult with the Padnos International Center in 130 Lake Ontario Hall. For details and forms needed to fulfill a General Education requirement abroad, click here.


How do I fulfill the MTH 110 prerequisite?
Click here for detailed information on meeting the MTH 110 prerequisite.

How do I get a permit to enroll in a Seidman (Business) course?
You need 55 credits by the time you take a 300/400 level Seidman College of Business course. Non-business majors with the credits and a 2.0 to 2.749 overall grade point average (GPA), and an officially declared Seidman majors with the credits a 2.5 to 2.749 overall GPA will need to e-mail their names, G-number, course, and semester to for an override to register.


Do I have to take General Education courses if I'm a transfer student?
Yes. Students who transfer to Grand Valley with the MACRAO approved associate of arts or science degree from a Michigan public community college have satisfied the Foundation Categories of the General Education Program and one Supplemental Writing Skills (SWS) course. However, transfer students with a MACRAO are required to complete the following requirements at GVSU:

  • One SWS course
  • The two-course General Education Program Cultural Emphasis requirement and
  • The two-course Issues requirement

I transferred here from another institution and I think that one of my courses might count toward my General Education requirements. Where should I go to find out?
Click here to obtain a Student Concern Form, and follow the instructions for submitting the form for review.  To see whether a specific course from another institution will transfer to GVSU, click here.

Please note:

  • Advisors and faculty members CANNOT make substitutions in the General Education Program.
  • You cannot use a course from another institution to fulfill your Issues requirement.



updated 8/6/14