LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Flexible Work Arrangement Options
There is an array of flexible work options available at GVSU including flextime, telecommuting, compressed work schedules, and alternative work assignments.
Although not all options may be available in all departments or for all positions, these guidelines can offer employees suggestions that may help them manage their work schedules while continuing to meet business needs.
Initially, all flexible work arrangements should start on a 3-month trial basis to determine the success of the flexible schedule and its feasibility as a regular arrangement.
The main consideration in setting up a flexible work arrangement is how/when the work will be completed. Although personal needs are often a factor in any such arrangement, University/Department requirements remain the primary consideration.
- What type of flexibility would I like?
- Do I have the necessary resources?
- What type of flexibility would work in my position?
- How will this change affect my pay and benefits?
- How will my flexible work option affect my co-workers?
- How will my flexible work option affect my supervisor?
- How will others have to change to accommodate my schedule?
- How will this affect my family?
- Additional/fewer child care hours needed?
- Are the operational needs of the specific department and the University being fulfilled?
- Will the department be able to maintain appropriate staffing levels during regular business hours and peak periods?
- Impact on communication, e.g. staff meetings
- How will:
- assignments and performance expectations be clearly communicated?
- accountability be maintained?
- results and productivity be measured?
- Is regular feedback and oversight from a supervisor necessary?
- Will additional technology be required?
- Are there safety concerns or building access issues?