Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) (Fall Internship) Deadline
Date and Time
Thursday, May 26, 2022
The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) program encourages undergraduate students and recent graduates to pursue science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers by providing research experiences at the Department of Energy (DOE) laboratories. Selected students participate as interns appointed at one of 17 participating DOE laboratories/facilities. They perform research, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers, on projects supporting the DOE mission.
The SULI program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s, Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE laboratories/facilities.
- Research interns spend 10 weeks (summer term) or 16 weeks (semester term) at a DOE laboratory engaged in a research project under the guidance of a laboratory scientist or engineer.
- Host laboratories provide enrichment activities, including career professional development workshops (e.g. technical and scientific writing skills development, poster, or oral presentation activities, etc.), laboratory tours, scientific lectures and seminars.
- Host laboratories provide all required site specific training.
- Participants from Summer 2020 through Spring 2022 receive a stipend of $600 per week during the internship period. Beginning with the 2022 Summer Term, participating students receive a stipend of $650 per week.
- Selected students are reimbursed for one round trip domestic travel to the host laboratory (if permanent address is more than 50 miles from the host laboratory). Transportation expenses will be reimbursed on the basis of the most direct route. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate up to a maximum of $500.00 or the cost of the lowest commercial airfare, whichever is lower. Travel by air will be reimbursed at the cost of the lowest commercial airfare.
- Housing information will be provided to interns prior to arrival at the host laboratory. In general, housing opportunities will vary from laboratory to laboratory. An allowance is available for participants placed at host laboratories that are unable to offer direct housing arrangements.
For more information, please visit: http://science.osti.gov/wdts/suli