Export Control Training
The following individuals are required to complete export control training every two years:
- All unit heads of academic departments
- Unit heads of other selected units as determined by the University’s Export Control Officer
- Deans/Associate Deans/Assistant Deans/Appointing Officers who review/sign contracts and agreements, review research, and/or approve FARs and FAPs
- Other individuals who are likely to review/approve/oversee activities potentially subject to export controls, as determined by the University’s Empowered Official
- Export Control Advisory Committee members
- Personnel engaged in work governed by an active Technology Control Plan (TCP)
Training can be found through the University's online compliance training platform, CITI. The export control training takes approximately 20-40 minutes to complete.
Registering for CITI training only takes a few minutes. You can take the course at your own pace using interactive activities and online resources. After taking the test, download the completion certificate. If you do not pass the first time, repeat the course until a passing score is achieved.
CITI: Getting Started Instructions
1. Click the CITI logo above. If that link does not work for you, go to citiprogram.org and select "Log In." At the next screen, select, "Log in through my institution" and choose "Grand Valley State University" from the list.
2. Enter your GVSU network ID and password. This will take you to your CITI dashboard. (Note: The first time you log into the CITI system, you may be requested to link your single sign-on account with a CITI account before being taken to your dashboard. Select the "I don't have a CITI Program account and need to create one" option.)
3. To add the course: Click "Add a Course" and select the Export Compliance course in Question 5, and then click "Submit" at the bottom of the page. (You do not need to answer the other questions on that page.)
4. After clicking "Submit", you will be taken back to your Courses page, where you can click on the name of the course to launch the training. You must read and click on the attestation that appears before you are allowed to begin the module(s).
5. Complete the required module and quiz. You will receive a certificate of completion once you have successfully passed the course. You can take the course at your own pace and you are not required to complete the course in one sitting. If you do not pass the first time (80% or higher on the quiz), you can take the course again. Additional optional modules are available within the course as well, if you wish to take additional training.