Let's Talk: Black Mental Health
Wednesday, April 19, 2023
12:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
Online, Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus
*LET’S TALK BLACK MENTAL HEALTH IS INTENDED FOR BLACK AND AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDENTS
Let’s Talk gives students the opportunity to talk one-on-one with a counselor and seek professional advice without having to sign up for counseling.
Let’s Talk meetings are…
- Free for currently enrolled GVSU students
- Offered first-come, first-served (no appointment necessary)
- Available both virtually and in-person
- Typically, about 20-25 minutes in length
- Not a substitute for formal counseling
- Not appropriate for urgent concerns or mental health emergencies. If you are in crisis, please refer to our emergency services
Let’s Talk is not a substitute for counseling and does not constitute mental health treatment. Let’s Talk counselors can listen to specific problems, help explore solutions, and introduce you to what it’s like to speak with a member of our staff. Please refer to our FAQs below for more details.
Let’s Talk is the best fit for students who
- Aren’t sure about counseling or wondering what it’s like to talk to a counselor
- Aren’t interested in ongoing counseling but would like the perspective of a counselor
- Would like to talk through a specific problem with someone
- May not need formal counseling, but could benefit from one-on-one professional support
Please note that we have both general Let’s Talk times open to everyone and some times tailored for specific groups. The counselors have expertise and competency in working with underrepresented students on campus. All counselors work with students who are experiencing symptoms of anxiety, depression, relationship concerns, and stress.
Click here for additional information
Eberhard 3rd Floor Student Lounge
During Let's Talk and Let's Talk: Black Mental Health time slots, counselors will be mingling with students in the areas listed. If a student would like to talk privately, the counselor will have a private room available.
Let’s Talk is offered both in-person and virtually.
Please visit www.gvsu.edu/counsel/letstalk for location and link information.
University Counseling Center
dsa examcram mentalhealth prevention race ucc wellness
Share this event
This event was added to the calendar by Mikaela Padgen (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 and was last updated on Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.