Note about the CSAT Major
The CSAT program is being replaced by the PCKET (Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Elementary Teaching) program. New students should visit the PKCET website for more information on the new paths to elementary certification. Students currently in the CSAT program will be able to finish with this major.
The Comprehensive Science and Arts for Teaching (CSAT) major at Grand Valley State University is the major for students pursuing specialized teaching endorsements at the elementary and middle-school levels. It is paired with the following programs:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) minor
- Spanish Elementary Education minor
- Early Childhood Education minor
- Special Education major
The program provides a solid foundation in subject-matter knowledge and pedagogical approaches across all content areas including fine arts, health & physical education, science, language arts, mathematics, and social studies.
The program gives majors:
- Field experiences in classrooms
- Understanding of, and hands-on experience in, planning and implementing instruction and assessments
- The ability to understand and work with diverse populations, including extraordinary needs learners.
Our graduates have a unique combination of skills and experiences that are highly valued in today’s classrooms.
The Comprehensive Science & Arts for Teaching program is part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.