The Comprehensive Science and Arts for Teaching (CSAT) major at Grand Valley State University is the major for students pursuing specialized teaching endorsements at the elementary and middle-school levels. It is paired with the following programs:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) minor
- Spanish Elementary Education minor
- Early Childhood Education minor
- Special Education major
The program provides a solid foundation in subject-matter knowledge and pedagogical approaches across all content areas including fine arts, health & physical education, science, language arts, mathematics, and social studies.
The program gives majors:
- Field experiences in classrooms
- Understanding of, and hands-on experience in, planning and implementing instruction and assessments
- The ability to understand and work with diverse populations, including extraordinary needs learners.
Our graduates have a unique combination of skills and experiences that are highly valued in today’s classrooms.