Registration Help for Chemistry Courses

Registration Permits

All Registration Permit (including CHM 399, 499, 490 and 498), Pre-requisite Waiver, and Closed Class Permit request are now submitted by students online through Banner. The Registrar’s site provides information about this (including an instructional video: Course Registration.  Important note:  If you would like to change a component of a course (lab, lecture or discussion) without changing the others, directions to do so are found here: Changing a single component of a multi-component class.

Enrollment in research classes:  Students who wish to enroll in CHM 399, CHM 499, CHM 490 or CHM 498 can find the instructions under Research classes/Enrollment procedures.  

Closed Class Permit

We will not approve any closed class permits until 3:00 p.m. on the Monday following the tuition deadline for the semester in which the student is trying to register. 

These deadlines can be found on the Registrar’s site ( If a class section is closed, students should check Banner frequently, especially after the tuition payment deadline, to see if there is an open spot. If there is still not an open spot by 3:00 p.m. on the Monday following the tuition deadline students can attempt to register for the desired section and when they get the “Closed Class” registration error they can click the link at the bottom to request an override. Note: We attempt not to overenroll classes so students must make a good case for requiring a closed class permit.

Individual faculty cannot approve a closed class permit.  
A student whose eligibility for financial aid is affected by inability to enroll in a closed class should contact the Financial Aid office at or 331-3234 to discuss options.

Pre-requisite Waivers

Students should login to Banner and attempt to register for the course. When they get the registration error “pre-requisite not met” they should click on the link at the bottom to request an override. If a student has taken/is taking a pre-requisite course at another institution he/she will need to send proof of completion/registration for that course to Prof. Dave Leonard ( before the override can be processed. A screenshot of an unofficial transcript or schedule is fine as long as is has the name of the student, the name of the institution, the course name/number, and either the grade received or when the course is offered on it.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that the course he/she plans to take transfers for the appropriate GVSU course and that he/she has the institution send an official transcript to GVSU as soon as grades for the course are posted so that the student’s Banner record can be updated. 

If you are  asking for a pre-requisite waiver for another reason (want to use a different GVSU course, want to take a pre-req as a co-req, etc.) you should be sure to provide as much information as possible in the reason box.