LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
School Social Work Certification
The School of Social Work at Grand Valley is authorized by the State Board of Education in Michigan to provide training and make recommendations concerning practitioner certification for school social work as provided in the Administrative Rules for School Social Work (Rule 340.1013) of the Michigan Department of Education.
Requirements for the Certification
All students seeking certification for school social work must take the following course, in addition to 60 credit hours required for M.S.W. degree:
Students must consult with the school social work advisor. In addition to taking required foundation courses, the student seeking certification must complete the following curriculum:
- SW 612 - Social Policy: Families and Children (3 credits)
- SW 662 - Substance Abuse and Social Work Practice (3 credits)
- SW 670 - Social Work Practice with Individuals (3 credits)
- SW 672 - Social Work Practice with Groups (3 credits)
- SW 674 - Social Work Practice: Families and Children (3 credits)
- SW 677 - Principles of Supervision (3 credits)
- SW 678 - Human Services Administration (3 credits)