2023-2024 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Software Design and Development
The School of Computing's software design and development badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students to accomplish the following:
- Engage in modern software engineering processes.
- Analyze the requirements for a software project.
- Design a solution for a software project.
- Develop a mobile application.
- Create a relational database and learn how applications use databases for persistent storage.
The software design and development badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits).
Completion of a bachelor's degree and evidence of object-oriented programming skills are required for admission.
Classes are offered fully online, in a hybrid format, or in-person in the late afternoon or evening in downtown Grand Rapids.
Requirements for the Software Design and Development Badge
- CIS 611 - Introduction to Software Engineering (3 credits) OR CIS 641 - Systems Analysis and Design (3 credits)
- CIS 657 - Mobile Application Development (3 credits) OR CIS 658 - Web Architectures (3 credits)
- CIS 660 - Data Engineering (3 credits) OR CIS 673 - Principles of Database Design (3 credits)