2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in GVSU Workplace Technology and Communication
This badge (not a degree or certificate) in workplace technology and communication gives students much needed workplace communication skills such as designing effective business documents, recognizing business communication ethical issues, using statistical analysis tools for effective decision making, and creating effective data displays and visualizations. Students earn this badge by successfully completing WRT 350 - Business Communication and CIS 231 - Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets. By completing this badge, students will have completed problem-solving projects that demonstrate these competencies:
- Composing business communications appropriate to specific audiences, purposes, and contexts.
- Designing effective business documents using commonly available office software.
- Communicating effectively in emails, written reports, and oral presentation.
- Recognizing ethical issues related to business communication.
- Building and manipulating Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
- Using applicable statistical analysis tools for effective decision making.
- Designing data models using local decision-making functions.
- Building datasets by importing, cleansing, and organizing raw data.
- Creating effective data displays and visuals, using commonly available office software.
The digital badge is comprised of two courses (six credits).
Admission as a degree-seeking or nondegree seeking student.
Courses will be online, hybrid, or face-to-face. Face-to-face courses will be offered in Allendale and Grand Rapids.
Requirements for the Workplace Technology and Communication Badge
Required Coursework (6 credits)
- CIS 231 - Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets Credits: 3 *
- WRT 350 - Business Communication Credits: 3 **