2023-2024 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Badge in Food and Beverage Service
The HTM badge in food and beverage service provides students with the knowledge and skills to work responsibly and productively in the food and beverage industry. Upon completion of the badge (not a degree or certificate), students will be able to perform the following:
- Identify strategies to provide superior service to guests.
- Apply best practices in food safety.
- Develop procedures for proper ordering, receiving, storing, and issuing of food and supplies.
- Apply standard equipment purchasing and layout principles
- Calculate and apply food and beverage cost and revenue control systems.
- Explain basic nutritional issues associated with food production.
- Explain important social concerns associated with food production, preparation, and consumption.
- Demonstrate how various ingredients react to different forms of cookery.
- Explain food safety regulations, regulatory agencies, and inspection processes.
- Explain licensing issues related to food and beverage management.
- Develop a labor schedule.
The program is offered online, except for HTM 250 lab sessions held at the Meadows in Allendale, Michigan.
Scott Rood, Assistant Director, Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management
Candidates can apply for admission as a degree-seeking or nondegree-seeking student.
The digital badge is comprised of three courses (eight credits), including: