LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Science in Geology-Chemistry
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section in this catalog.
Requirements for a Geology-Chemistry Major
Completion of a major in dual geology-chemistry requires the following.
Students must complete the general university degree requirements as identified in the general Academic Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog.
Requires 34 semester credit hours of geology courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
Geology Issues courses cannot count toward the geology major. At least three semester credits.
- GEO 111 - Exploring the Earth (4 credits)
- GEO 112 - Earth History (4 credits)
- GEO 175 - Research Tools for Geosciences (1 credit)
- GEO 214 - Solid Earth Materials and Systems (4 credits)
- GEO 220 - Earth Surface Materials and Systems (4 credits)
- GEO 311 - Structural Geology (4 credits)
- GEO 312 - Sedimentation-Stratigraphy (4 credits)
- GEO 445 - Introduction to Geochemistry (3 credits)
- GEO 485 - Geology Research and Writing Seminar (1 credit)
- GEO 486 - Geology Reading Seminar (1 credit)
- GEO electives: At least one course at the 300- or 400-level
Requires 21 semester credit hours of chemistry courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
- CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM 116 - Principles of Chemistry II (5 credits)
- CHM 221 - Survey of Analytical Chemistry (4 credits)
- CHM 325 - Instrumental Analysis (4 credits)
- CHM 351 - Introduction to Physical Chemistry (3 credits)
- CHM 352 - Physical Chemistry Laboratory (1 credit)
Requires four semester credit hours.
Requires five semester credit hours.
Suggested Order of Coursework
The CLAS Academic Advising Center has geology-chemistry curriculum guides for the major.