For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through June 17. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Graduate Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
Bioinformatics and genomics have become crucial components of life science research and industry (including biotechnology, medicine, and the pharmaceutical industry). Career options are already numerous and will become more plentiful in the future as part of the big data analytics field. Students trained in these novel techniques will be more competitive in their applications for jobs and graduate programs.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Undergraduate life science experience (e.g. biology, genetics, or biochemistry).
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended (other than GVSU) Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives.
- For applicants whose native language is not English: test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) or PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic). The following minimum scores are expected: TOEFL is 80, IELTS is 6.5, MELAB is 77, and PTE Academic is 53. Alternatively, we will accept the successful completion of ELS 112 as demonstration of English language proficiency.
Requirements for the Certificate in Bioinformatics and Genomics
The certificate in bioinformatics and genomics requires a minimum of 12 credits (nine credits in the core and at least three credits of electives).
- CMB 551 - Bioinformatics: Tools and Techniques for Life Scientists Credits: 3
- CMB 552 - Computer Modeling of Biomolecules Credits: 3
- CMB 560 - Genomics and Molecular Diagnostics Credits: 3
Elective Courses (choose at least one)