For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through June 17. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Requirements for a Minor in Biology
The biology minor consists of a minimum of 24 credits in biology. CHM 109 or CHM 115 is a required cognate in addition to the 24 credits. Following standard university policy, students must ensure that they complete 30 unduplicated credits in their major and 20 unduplicated credits in the minor to fulfill the requirements for both. Requirements of the biology minor:
- BIO 120 - General Biology I (4 credits)
- BIO 121 - General Biology II (4 credits)
- Cognate course: CHM 109 - Introductory Chemistry (4 credits) OR CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I (4 credits)
- An additional 16 credits selected from BIO courses numbered BIO 210 and above, except as noted below.
Only one of the following courses may be counted in the biology minor: BIO 309, BIO 311, BIO 329 or BIO 349. CMB 405, CMB 406, CMB 411, CMB 414, or CMB 426 may be counted as electives in the biology minor with approval of the biology unit head.
Students may count up to eight credits from the following BMS designated courses toward the required 24 credits in biology.
- BMS 202 - Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits) OR the following two courses: BMS 208 - Human Anatomy (3 credits) AND BMS 309 - Laboratory in Human Anatomy (1 credit)
- BMS 212 - Introductory Microbiology (3 credits) AND BMS 213 - Laboratory in Microbiology (1 credit)
- BMS 250 - Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credits)
- BMS 251 - Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credits)
- BMS 290 - Human Physiology (3 credits) AND BMS 291 - Laboratory in Human Physiology (1 credit)
Since specific BMS course requirements vary among majors, students should seek the advice of their major advisors on which of these BMS courses to take and the appropriate sequence in which to take them. Students should contact the Biology Department if they have questions on how the specified BMS courses may be applied to the biology minor.
Teacher Certification Requirements
Students selecting the biology minor for teacher certification are strongly advised to consult either the CLAS Academic Advising Center or the Biology Department for guidance on which BIO courses to complete to satisfy the State Standards for Teaching Biology and to prepare for the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in Biology. To assure both breadth and depth in the teaching minor, in addition to completing BIO 120 - General Biology I and BIO 121 - General Biology II, students should complete BIO 210 - Evolutionary Biology, BIO 215 - Ecology, either BIO 355 - Human Genetics or BIO 375 - Genetics, and BMS 202 - Anatomy and Physiology. Students considering the Integrated Science Secondary Endorsement should choose BIO 375 and the CHM 115 cognate.