2018-2019 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Master of Science in Nursing - Program Description
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the Kirkhof College of Nursing in this catalog.
The Kirkhof College of Nursing offers a Master of Science in nursing (M.S.N.) degree. The M.S.N. prepares professional nurses as advanced generalists to serve as leaders within clinical microsystems. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the clinical leadership skills essential for the integration of evidence-based practice at the patient-provider interface. Upon completion, students are eligible to take the Clinical Nurse Leader examination.
The KCON M.S.N. graduate is prepared to
provide nursing care in a generalized area of practice by applying advanced knowledge synthesized from nursing and related disciplines;
improve health care by assuming leadership roles in collaboration with other professionals and consumers; and
contribute to the advancement of the profession.
Admission to Master of Science in Nursing Program
The M.S.N. admission process is designed for postbaccalaureate in nursing (B.S.N.) entry. Applicants must be graduates from a B.S.N. program that was accredited by either the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA) or anticipate that they will have graduated from such a qualifying program before enrolling.
- Complete the GVSU graduate application available at https://www.gvsu.edu/kcon/oss/admission-deadlines-74.htm specifying the M.S.N. option
- Submit transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) coursework
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) coursework
- Submit a written goal statement describing professional and educational goals
- Submit a current curriculum vitae/resume
- Submit a scholarly writing exercise, using the guidelines in the online application
- Participate in a qualifying interview with KCON faculty
- International student applicants must meet TOEFL requirements for GVSU
Full admission is contingent on successful completion of the following:
- Current licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Michigan
- A required criminal background check and drug screen
- Health record documentation and immunization requirements
A new M.S.N. program cohort begins each fall semester. To ensure acceptance, the application and supplemental materials must be received by February 1 of the calendar year in which the student desires entry. Applications received after February 1 will be considered based upon program capacity.