2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Science in Geology-Chemistry
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section in this catalog.
Requirements for a Dual Major in Geology-Chemistry
Completion of a major in dual geology-chemistry requires the following:
1. General University Degree Requirements
As identified in the general Academic Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog.
2. Geology Courses
Thirty one (31) semester credit hours of geology courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
- GEO 111 - Exploring the Earth Credits: 4
- GEO 112 - Earth History Credits: 4
- GEO 175 - Research Tools for Geosciences Credits: 1
- GEO 211 - Mineralogy Credits: 4
- GEO 212 - Petrology Credits: 4
- GEO 311 - Structural Geology Credits: 4
- GEO 312 - Sedimentation-Stratigraphy Credits: 4
- GEO 445 - Introduction to Geochemistry Credits: 4
- GEO 485 - Geology Seminar Credits: 1 (taken two semesters in one academic calendar year)
3. Chemistry Courses
Twenty two (22) semester credit hours of chemistry courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
- CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I Credits: 4
- CHM 116 - Principles of Chemistry II Credits: 5
- CHM 221 - Survey of Analytical Chemistry Credits: 4
- CHM 325 - Instrumental Analysis Credits: 4
- CHM 351 - Introduction to Physical Chemistry Credits: 3
- CHM 352 - Applied Physical Chemistry Credits: 1
- CHM 491 - Chemistry Seminar II Credits: 1
4. Physics and Mathematics Courses
Nine (9) semester credit hours of physics and mathematics courses.
- MTH 201 - Calculus I Credits: 4
- PHY 230 - Principles of Physics I Credits: 5
5. Capstone Course
Three (3) semester credit hours.