LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
- Requirements for a Major in Legal Studies
- Suggested Order of Coursework for a Major in Legal Studies
Students seeking a bachelor's degree in legal studies must complete the general education requirements of the university. Students must also meet the degree cognate requirements i.e., third-semester proficiency in a foreign language to earn a B.A. for legal studies, or CIS 150, CJ 300 and STA 215 to earn a B.S. The bachelor's degrees in legal studies are approved by the American Bar Association.
Although most courses taken at other colleges and universities may be accepted for full credit, only a limited number will be counted toward the major. Students must take at least two-thirds of the credits constituting the major at Grand Valley State University. In addition, at least ten credits of legal specialty courses must be taken through traditional classroom instruction.
Requirements for a Major in Legal Studies
A minimum of 36 credit hours is required. All majors must take the following core courses:
- LS 201 - Introduction to Law Credits: 3
- LS 324 - Legal Research and Writing Credits: 3
- LS 420 - Property and Probate Law Credits: 3
- LS 422 - Commercial Law Credits: 3
- LS 426 - Civil Litigation I Credits: 3
- LS 428 - Civil Litigation II Credits: 3
- LS 490 - Legal Studies Internship Credits: 3 to 6
- LS 495 - Legal Thought (Capstone) Credits: 3
In addition, all majors must take:
- ACC 212 - Principles of Financial Accounting Credits: 3
- CIS 150 - Introduction to Computing Credits: 3 (included as part of degree cognate for B.S. degree)
And two of the following courses for B.A. candidates or three of the following courses for B.S. candidates:
- CJ 302 - Criminal Law Credits: 3
- CJ 305 - Constitutional Rights and Civil Liberties Credits: 3
- LS 350 - Family Law Credits: 3
- LS 370 - Women and the Law Credits: 3
- LS 380 - Special Topics in Legal Studies Credits: 1 to 4
- LS 399 - Independent Reading in Legal Studies Credits: 1 to 3
- LS 499 - Independent Study and Research Credits: 1 to 3
- MGT 334 - Employment and Labor Law Credits: 3
- PLS 307 - American Constitutional Law II Credits: 3
Suggested Order of Coursework for a Major in Legal Studies
Please visit the website of the College of Community and Public Service Advising Center at www.gvsu.edu/ccpsadvising/ for a four-year curriculum plan for the legal studies major. Taking courses in the sequence recommended in the curriculum plan for legal studies will help you avoid delays in completing the legal studies degree.