Potluck dinners in Niemeyer Living Center (the original location near Kleiner).
Chemistry Career Guide
Explore Options: A Menu of Major-Specific Experiences and Sampling of Related Career Paths
Menu of Experiences
Sample Chemistry Internship Sites
Internships provide an environment for you to gain hands-on, supervised experience. You'll apply the concepts you are learning in the classroom to a work environment while boosting your resume! Past internship sites include:
- ALS Environmental
- Charles River Laboratories
- Corium International
- GVSU Chemistry Department
- SPI Pharma
Relevant Courses and Certificates for Building Skills
Developing relevant skills that employers seek is an essential component of a student's education. GVSU students should consider elective courses and certificates that pair with their major to gain additional skills.
Community Service Opportunities
Seek volunteer opportunities related to the field you're exploring as a way of testing out future careers.
The Civic Engagement Center keeps a list of current volunteer opportunities updated on their website. There are ongoing opportunities on a continuous basis, as well as on-campus and off-campus opportunities posted as they become available.
Chemistry Study Abroad
Through study abroad you’ll also set yourself apart from other job-seekers and graduate-school applicants in an increasingly competitive market.
Borders are virtually meaningless in this early 21st century global economy. As a future graduate with a Chemistry major or minor degree, you will be confronting global issues and will work in internationally-operated companies. "Wake up and face the earth!" T. Friedman advised us in his bestseller ‘The World is Flat’.
Undergraduate Scholar Engagement
Pursuing academic, creative, and research experiences and projects outside the classroom is an excellent way to learn new skills and build a body of work in your field.
The Center for Undergraduate Scholar Engagement (CUSE) provides opportunities for undergraduate research and scholarship.
Chemistry Career Spotlights
Where Alumni Have Landed
- Quality Control – PPG Industries
- Material Chemist – Steelcase
- Product Quality Auditor – Tekton Inc
- Quality Technician – Amway
- Pharmacy Operations Manager – Priority Health
- Research Assistant – Spectrum Health
- Analytic Chemist – Perrigo
- Physician Assistant – Spectrum Health
- Quality Operations Specialist – Pfizer
- New Business Development Manager – Dow Chemical
- Customer Service Manager – Consumer Energy
- Volatile Organics Lab Tech – ALS Environmental
- Sales Rep – Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
- Product Developer – Tesa Tape
- Middle School Teacher – Zeeland Public School
- Sales Support – Aal Chem
- Medical Student – Michigan State University
- Brewer/Cellarman – New Holland Brewing
- Senior Patent Agent – McGarry Bain PC
- Metallurgical Lab Tech – Jedco Company Aerospace Engineering
February 28, 2024 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Stop by the Mackinac Hall Pod, First Floor anytime between 9:30am and 2pm to meet representatives from UFP Industries! Students can stop by for a casual conversation with professionals...
March 24, 2024 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
All Grand Valley students and alumni are invited to attend a GVSU/JCPenney Suit-Up Event! This event will include options to participate virtually or in-person. In-person: Come to JCPenney at RiverTown...
Beyond Undergraduate: Graduate or Professional Programs
Students with a Chemistry degree may continue on to a variety of graduate programs. Here are some examples of pathways students may pursue:
- Physical Chemistry
- Chemical Engineering
- Forensic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Quality Control Chemistry
- Chemical Analysis