Scheduling a Transfer Advising & Registration Session

Once you have been admitted to Grand Valley State University, you'll receive information inviting you to make an Advising & Registration session reservation. You MUST attend an Advising & Registration session in order to register for classes.

Additional important information can be found below:

  • Your G-number (student ID #) is on your letter of acceptance
    Make sure you completed a MACRAO/MTA AUDIT from your community college
  • Click this link for basic MACRAO/MTA information
  • Completed any courses since you applied?
    • Order an updated official transcript
    • List additional courses in your Advising & Registration session reservation to prevent duplicate coursework
  • There is a $50.00 Transfer Advising & Registration fee (a credit card is required for online reservations. Please mail a check if signing up by postal mail).

Preparing for your Transfer Advising & Registration Session

Be sure to bring the following items with you:

  • Transfer Equivalency Worksheet mailed to you from Grand Valley
  • A copy of your most recent unofficial transcript
    • Courses graded after you applied and were accepted will not show up on your Grand Valley transcript, so it is important that you tell us about any new classes completed. This helps your advisor prepare an accurate registration plan and helps prevent you from registering for duplicate courses. You will need to order an updated official transcript after additional courses are completed and graded. If any of these courses are a pre-requisite for a Grand Valley course you need, your unofficial transcript will show proof that you are taking or completed the required pre-requisite.
  • Driver's license and graphing calculator (if taking math placement exam)

Majors Information

  • Art Majors are advised to call (616) 331-3486 to schedule a Portfolio Review prior to attending orientation.
  • Music Majors are advised to first apply online to the Music Program and schedule an audition before attending orientation. For more information call (616) 331-3484.
  • Visit Majors and Programs for help determining the correct name of your major, minor or major emphasis
  • If you are undecided about a major, use the following resources:
    • What Can I do with this Major? Click on Students and What Can I do with this Major?
    • CLAS Advising
    • Call Grand Valley and ask for the major department directly
    • Call (616) 331-3588 and ask for a "Transfer Pre-major" appointment before orientation; either a phone or in-person appointment

Page last modified June 16, 2022