Higher Ed Transfer Credit

Transferring from an in-state, two-year, or four-year institution

No matter where you are transferring from, it is vital that you order an updated official transcript after completing courses at another institution. Otherwise, your Grand Valley records will be incomplete.

Please view our Course Equivalency Guide to see how your courses will transfer to Grand Valley.

You may also visit the Michigan Transfer Network for more equivalency information.

Students entering from a Michigan community college may take advantage of the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) Agreement or the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). You will need to work on the MACRAO/MTA in collaboration with your community college advisor and request a MACRAO/MTA audit near the end of your time at community college.

Transferring with the MACRAO/MTA stamp waives Grand Valley Foundation Categories of the General Education Program, the Writing 150 Basic Skills requirement, and one Supplemental Writing Skills (SWS) course. It does not automatically waive the Cultures or the Math 110 pre-requisite for certain general education courses, although most community colleges have equivalency options for both Cultures categories and Math 110.

Transferring from an out-of-state institution

It is very important that students transferring from out-of-state institutions submit course descriptions from the catalog with syllabi and any other supportive information as soon as possible for evaluation of transfer of credits before orientation. This information should be forwarded to regdept@gvsu.edu or mailed to Grand Valley State University, 150 STU, Allendale, MI 49401. For more information, call Admissions at (800) 748-0246 or (616) 331-2025 or email Records at regdept@gvsu.edu or call (616) 331-3327.

Page last modified January 12, 2016