Exploring Majors: Navigating Like a Laker
Grand Valley State University helps hundreds of students discover their path every year. The general education curriculum is designed to expose students to many different academic areas of study while still earning credit towards a degree.
Exploratory (Undecided) Advising
Our advisors guide students through the process of exploring potential majors and assist them in finding the best fit. In addition, we can assist students who may be transitioning from one major to another. We achieve these goals by:
- Guiding students to resources and tools to make informed major and career decisions;
- Developing a course plan that will include general education requirements and exploration courses;
- Interpreting university degree requirements, policies, and procedures;
- Introducing students to high-impact learning experiences and opportunities that will strengthen their career paths; and
- Identifying campuswide academic support resources such as tutoring and study skills development.
Resources for Exploratory Students
Discover Yourself, Majors, and Careers
- Explore your Academic Interests: Review the list of majors and minors at gvsu.edu/acad-index.htm, and the Career Guides by Major at gvsu.edu/careers/career-guides-by-major-165.htm.
- Pathway U: Discover yourself through personalized career assessments such as interests, values, workplace preferences, and purpose. Explore majors that align with results. Register: gvsu.edu/careers/pathwayu-70.htm
- Majors Fair: Faculty, staff, and alumni will be available to answer questions about all majors offered by GVSU, and discuss career paths for each major.
- Laker to Laker: Alumni share experiences in choosing a major, provide advice for getting involved on campus, and discuss career paths and opportunities in their fields.
- US 102: One credit career development course: helps students discover their interests, skills, and abilities and how to connect this information to majors and careers.
Design Your Plan
- Advising Centers: Professional academic advisors assist students in the development of an appropriate academic plan based on their selected major and interests. gvsu.edu/advising
- Career Center: Assists students in the development of networks, including connections to internship and job shadowing opportunities.
- Exploratory Advisors: Review course and admission requirements for different majors. gvsu.edu/exploratory
- Faculty: Provide expertise and in-depth understanding of the course requirements and factors for success in academics.
Location & Format
All undergraduate students begin their academic career on the Allendale Campus.Format:
- Face To Face
For More InformationCLAS Academic Advising Center
C-1-140 Mackinac Hall