- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
- Certificate, Undergraduate
Anthropology is the study and understanding of humans throughout time, including the effects of culture on individuals and of individuals on their society.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The anthropology program is housed in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students may major in anthropology or they may combine the study of anthropology with other majors or minors. The following degrees are offered in anthropology:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
A certificate in applied anthropology is also available to degree-seeking students.
Core coursework includes the following:
- Anthropological theory
- Cultural anthropology
- Human origins
- Practicing anthropology
Anthropologists enjoy a variety of career options, including working with:
- Archaeology agencies
- Consumer groups
- Developing countries
- Environmental groups
- International agencies
- Law firms
- Minority and women's groups
Visit gvsu.edu/anthropology for more career options.
Why Study Anthropology at Grand Valley?
- The anthropology program regularly sponsors locally based field schools in archaeology and cultural anthropology.
- Opportunities for fieldwork and abroad are available with faculty.
- Postfield independent research opportunities are available through the anthropology lab.
- The Anthropology Club offers a community for students interested in anthropology and for organizing cultural and educational events.
- The department awards scholarships and offers membership in the national anthropology honor society, Lambda Alpha.
- The anthropology department has outstanding faculty. Please visit www.gvsu.edu/s/09E to meet them.
- A certificate in applied anthropology teaches students marketable skills.
- Business Insider notes that anthropologists are hired by such companies as Intel, Microsoft and Google for their cultural expertise.
“We have expanded the program to give students hands-on experience working in the local community and in several countries around the world. Students come to Grand Valley specifically for the anthropology program.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University