- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Anthropology is the study and understanding of humans throughout time, including the effects of culture on individuals and of individuals on their society.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The anthropology program is housed in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students may major in anthropology or they may combine the study of anthropology with other majors or minors. The following degrees are offered in anthropology:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Core coursework includes the following:
- Anthropological theory
- Cultural anthropology
- Human origins
- Practicing anthropology
Anthropologists enjoy a variety of career options, including working with:
- Archaeology agencies
- Consumer groups
- Developing countries
- Environmental groups
- International agencies
- Law firms
- Minority and women's groups
Visit www.gvsu.edu/anthropology for more career options.
Why Study Anthropology at Grand Valley?
- The anthropology program regularly sponsors locally based field schools in archaeology and cultural anthropology.
- Opportunities for fieldwork abroad are available with faculty.
- Postfield independent research opportunities are available through the anthropology lab.
- The Anthropology Club offers a community for students interested in anthropology and for organizing cultural and educational events.
- The department awards scholarships and offers membership in the national anthropology honor society, Lambda Alpha.
- The anthropology department has outstanding faculty. Please visit www.gvsu.edu/anthropology to meet them.
- The 2012 Bureau of Labor Statistics says that employment of anthropologists and archaeologists is expected to grow by 20% over the next ten years as the need to understand diverse cultures, workforces, and global dynamics grows.
“We have expanded the program to give students hands-on experience working in the local community and in several countries around the world. Students come to Grand Valley specifically for the anthropology program.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University