Consultations are for individuals, groups of faculty members, departments, programs, or colleges.
The Pew FTLC works with faculty members across all disciplines and in a variety of ways to improve teaching and to enhance the culture of teaching and learning at GVSU. Faculty of all ranks are welcome to use our services. Our services are confidential and will not be reported to unit heads, Deans, or others. The Pew FTLC staff do not participate in personnel actions, including but not limited to writing letters of support.
We also work with departments, programs, and colleges on special projects related to teaching and learning.
Request a consultation by emailing us as PewFTLC@gvsu.edu.
Topics we can address include (but are not limited to):
COURSE PLANNING & DESIGN
- Constructing a syllabus
- Creating an inviting, inclusive classroom
- Writing learning objectives
EFFECTIVE TEACHING METHODS
- Active learning strategies
- Collaborative learning techniques
- Motivating students
- Planning successful first and last days of class
- Academic integrity
- Teaching online and hybrid courses
ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT LEARNING
- Classroom assessment techniques
- Writing effective test questions
- Giving effective feedback to students
- Mid-Semester Interviews about Teaching
DOCUMENTING TEACHING AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Interpreting end-of-semester student evaluations
- Classroom observations
- Preparing a personnel portfolio and writing integrative statements
ALSO NOTE: Borrow a Flip video camera or digital voice recorder from us. We’ll provide simple instructions to help you record your teaching for either your own use or as part of a consultation.