Undergraduate Elementary Education Program
Elementary Majors and Minor
Candidates who earn an elementary certificate teach:
- All subjects, grades K-5
- Major subject areas, grades 6-8
- All subjects, grades K-8 in a self-contained classroom
Academic majors for certification are offered in various fields of study. Candidates select from:
Once a major has been selected, more information can be found under the specific Academic Program. In addition, the elementary teaching program requires all candidates to complete the Elementary Education Major Sequence and the Elementary Teaching Minor.
Elementary Teaching Minor
For elementary education candidates starting the elementary minor program, elementary certification requirements are listed below:
- ENG 308 - Teaching Reading: The Necessary Skills - Credits: 4
- MTH 221 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I Credits: 4 AND MTH 222 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II Credits: 3
- MTH 223 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers III Credits: 5
Elementary candidates must take each of the following courses, except the course(s) listed in their chosen content major area:
- MAT 300 - Music, Art, and Theatre for Elementary Education - Credits: 3
- ENG 302 - Introduction to Language Arts: Teaching Writing and Children's Literature - Credits: 3
- SCI 225 - Integrated Life Science for K-8 Teachers - Credits: 4
- SCI 226 - Integrated Physical Science for K-8 Teachers - Credits: 3
- PED 265 - Teaching Health in Elementary Schools - Credits: 2
- PED 266 - Move-Dance-Learn! PE and Dance for Elementary Ed - Credits: 2
- SST 309 - Social Studies for Elementary Teachers - Credits: 3
Education Major Sequence - Elementary
Candidates must complete the following 39 credit education major. At least one field semester must be done in a multicultural setting.
Prerequisites - required prior to admission to undergraduate teacher education:
- EDF 315 - Diverse Perspectives on Education
- EDI 337 - Assessment for Learning
- PSY 301 - Child Development
Flex Course 1 - This course is taken before OR after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching. Must be grade B- or higher.
- EDS 378 - Universal Design for Learning: Elementary Credits: 3
Flex Course 2 - This course is taken after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching. Must be grade of B- or higher.
- EDT 370 - Technology in Education Credits: 3
Teacher Assisting Semester
- EDF 310 Organizing and Managing Classroom Environments - Credits 3
- EDR 320 Reading: Assessment and Instruction - Credits 3
- EDI 330 Teacher Assisting: Elementary - Credits 5
Student Teaching Semester
- EDF 485 The Context of Educational Issues - Credits 3 (may be taken after EDI 430 but before certification)
- EDI 430 Student Teaching: Elementary - Credits 10
Courses may be viewed on the College of Education’s Course List page.