LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Why Take the Stairs
"Physical activity will add years to your life, and life to your years."
1. People spend an estimated two-thirds of their lives at their place of employment. In order to stay healthy, we need to find ways to incorporate physical activity into our workday.
2. Daily living activities like climbing the stairs can make a significant contribution to the 30 minutes of exercise we all need... everyday.
3.The 30 minutes of physical activity we need for our health can be accumulated a bit at a time, or one stairway at a time, spread at intervals throughout the day. Do it your way!
4. Physical activities like stair climbing are a great way to cope with job-related stress.
5. Climbing just two flights of stairs everyday could result a loss of 2.7kg or 6lbs per year. Six flights a day could help you trim nearly 18 lbs. Why wait?
6. Adding stairs to your day can add years to your life. Studies show that risk of cardiovascular disease and death is lower among those who are regular stair climbers.
7. Stair climbing can also add life to your years. Those who climb stairs on a daily basis have greater leg strength and aerobic capacity, allowing them to participate more fully in a wide range of daily activities.
8. Taking the stairs is often faster than waiting for an elevator during peak usage times. Take the test and time your trip. Often for trips of 7 floors or less, the stairs are the quickest way to your destination.
9. Using the stairs requires no special skill, equipment or clothing and it burns twice as many calories as walking. Step right up!!
10. Stair climbing is a 'green' activity, the only energy source used is what is stored in our bodies... good for you and the environment!