Diversity Abroad Scholarships
Below is a list of scholarship opportunities students of color, LGBTQIA+ students, veterans and more. Use the quick links to the right to navigate to different sections.
PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a complete list. It is highly recommended that students work with the Padnos International Center and the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships to find other scholarships and funding options.
Black & African-American Student Scholarships
GVSU Positive Back Woman Scholarship
-Scholarships for many majors through the NAACP
-scholarships for students enrolled in colleges in Michigan
Ron Brown Scholar Program
-Ron Brown scholarship for community service (could apply to service abroad?)
Hallie Q. Brown Scholarship
Students with Disabilities
Below is a list of resources students should examine when budgeting for their study abroad program and/or their accommodation needs. This is not an exhaustive list so we encourage students to conduct their own searches.
- Students receiving Vocational Rehabilitation may be able to use their funds towards a study abroad if:
- The student is a registered VR client.
- The study abroad program directly relates to the student's educational goals.
- Students must exhaust all other funding sources.
- Students who are receiving Social Security/Supplemental Security Income may also be able to use their funds toward a study abroad program if:
- The student is sponsored by a US education institution.
- The course of study is not available in the United States.
- Study abroad must substantially enhance the student's ability of employment.
- Other requirements can be found at: www.ssa.gov/ssi/
Scholarships and Grants
Students are able to use VA benefits to help pay for GVSU faculty-led and partnership study abroad programs as well as internships and independent study programs abroad.
The overseas host university must be approved by the VA prior to participation. A list of approved universities can be found on the WEAMS Database at: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do
Any institution NOT approved in the WEAMS database must first be approved prior to a student’s participation.
Approval process for foreign universities: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/foreign_program_approval_information_for_schools.asp
Student Veterans are highly encouraged to work with a Study Abroad Adviser to plan their program.
-for Silver or Gold Girl Scouts
-scholarships through the American Association of University Women
- Vincent Viceglia Fellowship
- Marinelli Scholarship
- George A. Graziado Fellowship for Business
- Norman R. Peterson Scholarship
- Jewish War Veterans Scholarship
- Abraham A. Spack Fellowship
- Starkoff Fellowship
- Ethel Marcus Memorial Scholarship
- Jewish War Veterans of the USA
- Jewish Welfare Board
- Encouragement Scholarship
- Recruitment Scholarship
- Frank L. Weil Memorial Scholarship –for boy scouts only
Scholarship for Orchestral music students
Danish Institute for Study Abroad minority scholarships
Minorities studying in Turkey