Diversity Abroad Scholarships
Below is a list of scholarship opportunities students of color, LGBTQIA+ students, veterans and more. Use the quick links to the right to navigate to different sections.
PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a complete list. It is highly recommended that students work with the Padnos International Center and the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships to find other scholarships and funding options.
Students with Disabilities
Below is a list of resources students should examine when budgeting for their study abroad program and/or their accommodation needs. This is not an exhaustive list so we encourage students to conduct their own searches.
- Students receiving Vocational Rehabilitation may be able to use their funds towards a study abroad if:
- The student is a registered VR client.
- The study abroad program directly relates to the student's educational goals.
- Students must exhaust all other funding sources.
- Students who are receiving Social Security/Supplemental Security Income may also be able to use their funds toward a study abroad program if:
- The student is sponsored by a US education institution.
- The course of study is not available in the United States.
- Study abroad must substantially enhance the student's ability of employment.
- Other requirements can be found at: www.ssa.gov/ssi/
Scholarships and Grants
Students are able to use VA benefits to help pay for GVSU faculty-led and partnership study abroad programs as well as internships and independent study programs abroad.
The overseas host university must be approved by the VA prior to participation. A list of approved universities can be found on the WEAMS Database at: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do
Any institution NOT approved in the WEAMS database must first be approved prior to a student’s participation.
Approval process for foreign universities: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/foreign_program_approval_information_for_schools.asp
Student Veterans are highly encouraged to work with a Study Abroad Adviser to plan their program.
- Vincent Viceglia Fellowship
- Marinelli Scholarship
- George A. Graziado Fellowship for Business
- Norman R. Peterson Scholarship
- Jewish War Veterans Scholarship
- Abraham A. Spack Fellowship
- Starkoff Fellowship
- Ethel Marcus Memorial Scholarship
- Jewish War Veterans of the USA
- Jewish Welfare Board
- Encouragement Scholarship
- Recruitment Scholarship
- Frank L. Weil Memorial Scholarship –for boy scouts only
Scholarship for Orchestral music students
Danish Institute for Study Abroad minority scholarships
Minorities studying in Turkey