Study Abroad Peer Adviser Application
Barbara H. Padnos International Center Peer Adviser Application
Applicants are required to:
- Be registered GVSU students
- Have participated in a study abroad program, or be an international student
- Have strong communication skills
- Possess basic computer skills including: word processing and email
Advisers are encouraged to show:
- Knowledge of world geography, languages, religions and political systems
- Experience with student advising or mentoring
- Experience with public speaking
- Enthusiasm towards study abroad
Advisors are expected to:
- Advise GVSU community on study, volunteer, teach, intern and work abroad, travel abroad and scholarship and grant opportunities for study abroad.
- Be available in the Resource Room to advise students during scheduled office hours.
- Assist international students as needed in the resource room
- Maintain a professional appearance while representing the Padnos International Center
- Represent the office in various forms of the media
- Be available to assist in various recruitment projects such as posting flyers throughout campus as well as staffing booths at university events.
- Be available to conduct general informational meetings on study abroad
- Assist with clerical tasks (mailings, copies, phones, scheduling appointments)
- Assist office staff with large scale projects and planning
- Refers students to the Barbara H. Padnos International Center staff or the other campus resources as needed.
Responsibilities and Services
Through agreements established with foreign institutions, the university creates opportunities for educational and living experiences abroad and increases the presence of international students and faculty at Grand Valley. The Barbara H. Padnos International Center organizes and coordinates the University’s international programs and activities. Students can acquire international experiences through a variety of short-term, long-term as well as customized programs. The Barbara H. Padnos International Center assists students with planning for and participating in these programs.
Responsibilities include effectively carrying out the duties and services of the office. The skills and knowledge of student staff members are vital. Student staff positions will be at a pay rate of $8.65 per hour. Increases are based on meritorious performance and experience. The Barbara H. Padnos International Center adheres to the pay increase policy established by the Student Employment Office. Duties of the student staff include the following:
- Assist in answering the office phones
- Pick-up, sort, and deliver mail when main receptionist is out of the office
- Run errands/ daily on campus deliveries
- Work on special projects as assigned by staff
- Schedule appointments
- Attend all student staff meetings and training sessions
- Assist walk-ins and visitors
- Assist international students
- Advise GVSU community on study, volunteer, teach, intern and work abroad, travel abroad, cultures and countries around the world, scholarship and grant opportunities for students, international opportunities for faculty and staff
- Be knowledgeable of the benefits of studying abroad, Grand Valley sponsored programs and all the study abroad resources available in the office and on our website.
- Refer students to the Barbara H. Padnos International Center staff or the other campus resources as needed
- Encourage past study abroad participants to continue involvement with the office
- Maintain resource binder with up-to-date study abroad and office information
- Promote Grand Valley sponsored study abroad programs as a representative of the Barbara H. Padnos International Center
- Assist in the creation and distribution of study abroad promotional materials
- Assist in the recruitment of study abroad participants through first-step meetings, study abroad fairs, informational meetings and office walk-ins
* denotes a required field