LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Getting Involved With Student Senate
Thank you for your interest in the Grand Valley State University Student Senate. There are many ways that you can become involved with us.
Become A Senator
There are two ways to become a Student Senator:
- Run for election
- Toward the end of the winter semester each year, the student body elects 44 of the 50 Senators for the upcoming academic year.
- Any interested undergraduate or graduate student can secure a spot on the ballot by filling out an election packet and obtaining 100 student signatures and two faculty signatures.
- A university-wide election is held online. The 44 candidates with the most votes are elected to the Student Senate.
- 6 of the 50 seats are reserved for first-year and transfer students and are filled at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Apply for a vacant seat:
- Students can apply for one of the six open seats in the fall, or as vacancies occur throughout the year.
- Applicants applying for a vacant seat will interview with members of Senate Resources and Cabinet members.
- Apply by completing our Student Senate application on LakerLink!