Getting Involved With Student Senate
Thank you for your interest in the Grand Valley State University Student Senate. There are many ways that you can become involved with us.
Become A Senator
There are two ways to become a Student Senator:
- Run for election
- Toward the end of the winter semester each year, the student body elects 44 of the 50 Senators for the upcoming academic year.
- Any interested undergraduate or graduate student can secure a spot on the ballot by filling out an election packet and obtaining 100 student signatures and two faculty signatures.
- A university-wide election is held online. The 44 candidates with the most votes are elected to the Student Senate.
- 6 of the 50 seats are reserved for first-year and transfer students and are filled at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Apply for a vacant seat:
- Students can apply for one of the six open seats in the fall, or as vacancies occur throughout the year.
- Applicants applying for a vacant seat will interview with members of Senate Resources and Cabinet members.
- Apply by completing our Student Senate application on LakerLink!