Social Media Community Guidelines
Grand Valley State University’s social media accounts, maintained and moderated by University Communications, exist to advance the mission and values of the university. We do this by providing value to, and strengthening our relationship with, all constituents through our posts and interactions.
GVSU welcomes interaction on these social media pages through civil discourse. In order to promote civil discourse and for the safety of our community, certain categories of speech may be removed.
Administrators of GVSU-affiliated accounts reserve the right to hide or delete content, including comments, replies or otherwise, that is found to be in violation of the University’s Social Media Community Standards listed below. Administrators also reserve the right to report, block or ban users for violations.
Content may be removed if:
- It is not directly related to the business or work of this department/office or to the particular social media content being commented upon.
- It contains language that is defamatory, threatening, profane, obscene, violent, harassment, sexually explicit, or it contains links to content of this nature.
- It promotes or perpetuates hate or discrimination on the basis of any legally protected category, including religion or creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other category protected by federal or state law.
- It includes false or defamatory information about any party. If a statement posted is believed to be false or defamatory, GVSU will remove said statement until an investigation into the allegation can be completed.
- It includes advertisements, prize contests, promotions to like a page, giveaways, links that contain malware, or any content otherwise categorized as spam.
- There are multiple or repetitive posts, which are considered spam.
- It appears to promote or encourage the use or possession of illegal goods, services or behaviors.
- It is made in violation of state or federal law.
- It misrepresents or hides the poster’s identity, or violates the intellectual property - such as copyright or trademark infringement - of any other party.
- It includes personally identifiable information, including address, email address, phone number, student ID/G number, social security number, or other sensitive information.
- Facebook: https://transparency.fb.com/policies/community-standards/
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/477434105621119
- X/Twitter: https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/x-rules
- Threads: https://help.instagram.com/769983657850450
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/community-guidelines/en/overview/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/howyoutubeworks/policies/community-guidelines/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/professional-community-policies