LAKERS TOGETHER: COVID vaccine required by September 30. Face coverings required indoors.
Regional Summits, hosted annually by each of the REP4 founding higher education partners, bring together learners from local and regional high schools and youth-serving organizations to generate ideas that transform their lives, their communities, and education itself.
Learners build essential skills and take charge of their education while institutions encourage and assess ideas for educational change.
At Grand Valley, learner cohorts of rising 11th and 12th graders are identified by schools and organizations throughout the region who have joined as partners in co-creating the Midwest Learner Design Summit experience.
The 2021 Summit journey will enable students to develop a deeper understanding of themselves and their futures and take advantage of expanded college opportunities and benefits available to participants who successfully complete the program.
- Build and steward a robust network of innovative high schools and community-based organizations as partners
- Designate institutional experts and staff with dedicated time, commitment and passion for engaging the network and associated experiences
- Incubate worthy projects and share results across and beyond the REP4 national alliance to expand the impact of collective work
- Provide philanthropy investment for the experience at zero cost to participants
- Provide the benefits for participation outlined below, upon successful completion of the experience
- Convene and sustain a cohort of 10-20 high school student participants annually
- Recruit a cohort of rising 11th and 12th graders from diverse backgrounds, but with an overrepresentation of students from low-income households, first in their family to go to college, and other historically marginalized students
- Identify a consistent Adult Lead from the partner organization to convene, register, guide/engage, and retain the student cohort and participate in Adult Lead orientation virtual training, held: June 16 and June 23, 2021
- Guide cohort through Learner Design Summit engagements, including the Pre-Summit held June 17-July 6, 2021 and Summit held July 7-9 (Part 1), July 12-23 (Part 2), and July 26-28 (Part 3), 2021
- Participate in quarterly check-in meetings convened by GVSU
- Agree to be available for the National Convening on August 5, 2021, as a synchronous, virtual REP4 event for all alliance partners, learner participants, and invited guests
- Admission application fee waiver and guaranteed admission upon successful completion of the experience
- Competition for high value scholarship for strongest participants
- Course credit-awarding opportunities
- $500 stipend
- Opportunity to learn and practice Design Thinking and gain entrepreneurial skills
- Learners will connect with peers, coaches, and subject matter experts to support their future and lifelong learning
- Opportunity to engage in student capacity building for college and career opportunities
- Professional development and personal network expansion
- $1,000 stipend
- Opportunity to convert experience to university coursework for credit; continuing education, graduate education, or State Continuing Education Clock Hours credit through the Michigan Department of Education
Adult Lead Orientation
June 16, 2021, 9am–2pm
June 23, 2021, 9am-1pm
Student Designer Orientation
June 17–July 6, 2021, 4 hours total
Specific date/time/location scheduled by the adult lead
July 7–9, 2021, 9am-1pm
July 12–23, 2021, 13 hours total
Specific dates/times/locations scheduled by the adult lead
July 26–28, 2021, 9am-1pm