What is Recreational Therapy?
Recreational therapy, also known as therapeutic recreation, is a systematic process that utilizes recreation and other activity-based interventions to address the assessed needs of individuals with illnesses and/or disabling conditions, as a means to psychological and physical health, recovery and well-being. The purpose of the recreational therapy process is to improve or maintain physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning in order to facilitate full participation in life.
To shape students' knowledge, skills, and passion for recreational therapy through a collaborative environment to become impactful, competent, and innovative practitioners.
- To prepare competent, entry-level recreational therapists in the cognitive (knowledge),
psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- To provide relevant and current recreational therapy education and experiences across
practice settings and diagnostic groups.
- To demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities in the RecTx process.
- To advocate for individuals with disabilities through club and course activities.
- To reflect and document professional growth throughout the course of their education.
- To advocate for and advance the profession through outside course activities and professional engagement.
- To differentiate between aspects of RecTx service delivery across varied practice settings and diagnostic groups.
- To demonstrate organizational and administrative skills for recreational therapy practice, and function as a member of the interprofessional team.
- To apply and synthesize complex information, research, and program evaluation methods and incorporate into practice.
- To express value in ethical obligations, standards of practice, and professional competencies to ensure appropriate treatment of clients.
The Recreational Therapy Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education (https://www.caahep.org/Students/Find-a-Program.aspx
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater FL 33763, phone: 727-210-2350