Date of Last Update
- Board of Trustees
Legal, Compliance & Risk Management
Export Policy As PDF
Michigan Constitution of 1963
BOT MI Constitution
Section 4 Higher education institutions; appropriations, accounting, public sessions of boards.
The legislature shall appropriate moneys to maintain the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern Michigan University, Michigan College of Science and Technology, Central Michigan University, Northern Michigan University, Western Michigan University, Ferris Institute, Grand Valley State College, by whatever names such institutions may hereafter be known, and other institutions of higher education established by law. The legislature shall be given an annual accounting of all income and expenditures by each of these educational institutions. Formal sessions of governing boards of such institutions shall be open to the public.
History: Const. 1963, Art. VIII, § 4, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964 .
Former Constitution: See Const. 1908, Art. XI, § 10.
Section 6 Other institutions of higher education, controlling boards.
Other institutions of higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate degrees shall each be governed by a board of control which shall be a body corporate. The board shall have general supervision of the institution and the control and direction of all expenditures from the institution's funds. It shall, as often as necessary, elect a president of the institution under its supervision. He shall be the principal executive officer of the institution and be ex-officio a member of the board without the right to vote. The board may elect one of its members or may designate the president, to preside at board meetings. Each board of control shall consist of eight members who shall hold office for terms of eight years, not more than two of which shall expire in the same year, and who shall be appointed by the governor by and with the advice and consent of the senate. Vacancies shall be filled in like manner.
History: Const. 1963, Art. VIII, § 6, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964.